Litter/rubbish picking

• 20 Replies

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
Litter/rubbish picking
« on: March 18, 2019, 17:35 »
For the past 5 years the Daily Mail have organised a yearly clean up of mainly beaches and countryside where people pledge to litter pick between March 22nd and April 23rd. This year a magnificent 400,000 have signed up to do their bit. I do it regularly as I'm sure lots of you do, but signing up enables you to get a litter picker, hi viz vest (oh sexy) and bags with hoop openings everything you need. Anyway why I'm asking is, I don't see why people are putting themselves out when councils could be doing something to clear the disgusting messes down our motorways, verges and islands. I live on the staffs/derbyshire border. Who do i ring to give er, to ask when their clean up starts. Is it the county council or district council. And is it the environmental dept or highways. Thank you for reading.

DanielCoffey

Re: Litter/rubbish picking
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 07:11 »
The Councils won't let the public clean the highway verges because of the danger involved but I am sure they appreciate the help with beaches and woods that are safe for walkers.

I did see the South Ayrshire and East Ayrshire official pickers out last summer when I was on my bike in the rural backroads around here and I actually stopped to say thank you. They were mainly collecting the plastic bottles full of wee that get jettisoned out of car and lorry windows.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 11:00 »
An interesting thread -   We have lots of homeless in the town, and as I walk past I often think, why don't you get out of that shop door-way and volunteer to pick some rubbish up.   Surely that may help their cause to being rehomed.   Also, down here, the people who pick rubbish on the busy road verges are people who have to do community things because of some crime they have committed, and some are on day-release from open prison, with supervision of course.
But a lot of it comes down to the word "Respect",  this word seems to have very little application today.  I would never dream of chucking out litter, it was not what I was taught.  My parents would be so angry with me.     So whenever I see litter about the village, I just pick it up and bin it.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 12:22 »
It's easy to spot the type of moron who chucks rubbish out of the window, as it's usually trashy fast food bags, smelly cheap sandwich wrappings, Macdonalds cups and stinking fag packets...

Somehow, you don't need a degree in psychology to see the sort of cretin which does this!

Mrs Growster bought me one of those long-handled picker-ups, and I rather like the action, especially when I can also use it to bash in the windscreens and headlights of the offenders... (only joking)...;0)

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 12:23 »
An interesting thread -   We have lots of homeless in the town, and as I walk past I often think, why don't you get out of that shop door-way and volunteer to pick some rubbish up.   Surely that may help their cause to being rehomed.   Also, down here, the people who pick rubbish on the busy road verges are people who have to do community things because of some crime they have committed, and some are on day-release from open prison, with supervision of course.
But a lot of it comes down to the word "Respect",  this word seems to have very little application today.  I would never dream of chucking out litter, it was not what I was taught.  My parents would be so angry with me.     So whenever I see litter about the village, I just pick it up and bin it.    Mrs Bouquet
Sad to say a lot of the shop doorway people have drug or alcohol problems that has caused them to be removed from accommodation . They choose drugs in a doorway over a home .
I  regularly litter pick on the local beach while beachcombing.
The local council have been handing out £70 fines for littering and i believe the fines totalled £20,000 in three months.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 17:13 »
Had an audio/hospital appointment today,  it was empty when I arrived.  On the table next to the chairs was 1 Costa coffee mug, 1 empty sandwich container, 1 crisp bag.  Next to the table was the rubbish bin, 
I did pick them up and put them in the correct place.  But it is everywhere you go.  Mrs Bouquet

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 18:12 »
 I have to say I agree with Mrs B very true what your saying I'm afraid respect especially for the countryside has long gone Mrs B the wife and me went for a walk down a country lane just outside the village the other day talk about rubbish discarded beer cans and bottles crisp packets and things that where left over from the night before Il leave that one to your imagination its something that  can't be used a second time

we used to see birds in the hedgerows now we see little black bags  of dog poo that look like bats hanging there not to mention those who can't be bothered to pick there poo  up and its left there for all to step in it including kids

then there's the tyres and household rubbish like washing machines fridges left in farm gateways for other's to clear up what ever happened to England's fine and pleasant land ? >:(

I'M not finished yet we had some morons go into a field of sheep in lamb the other night and butcher some sheep leaving the unwanted parts of  the sheep in the field so not only did they kill the sheep but also the unborn lambs
what scum would do  this despicable act to kill the sheep this way  I ask myself :mad:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 18:59 »
That is absolutely horrid.  >:(  Mrs Bouquet

wighty

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 19:27 »
I remember when I moved into this house and was cleaning the windows, watching the local secondary school pupils on their way home, there was a continual 'throw away' of sweet wrappers etc.  I called (shouted) 'pick that up and take it home'.  I was waved at with only a couple of fingers and was told 'where to go'.    My front garden is always full of sweet wrappers, crisp packets etc from the corner shop as it's on the main route home for them.

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 22:08 »
The Councils won't let the public clean the highway verges because of the danger involved but I am sure they appreciate the help with beaches and woods that are safe for walkers.

I did see the South Ayrshire and East Ayrshire official pickers out last summer when I was on my bike in the rural backroads around here and I actually stopped to say thank you. They were mainly collecting the plastic bottles full of wee that get jettisoned out of car and lorry windows.
   Thanks for your replies. Regarding the council, though I would like to clear the highways of rubbish i know I can't. What I was trying to say was i want them , the council's , to be shamed into doing it themselves when this campaign starts. I wanted to know which council to get in touch with and which dept is it that is responsible for it. On a slightly different note, this morning I saw 2 idiot council workers hand spraying the grass that had inconsiderately decided to grow over the verge onto the path, while totally ignoring the litter carp that had been dumped at the side of it. I wonder which was the most unsightly. Oh the irony.  >:( >:( :mad:

al78

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 23:33 »
I remember when I moved into this house and was cleaning the windows, watching the local secondary school pupils on their way home, there was a continual 'throw away' of sweet wrappers etc.  I called (shouted) 'pick that up and take it home'.  I was waved at with only a couple of fingers and was told 'where to go'.    My front garden is always full of sweet wrappers, crisp packets etc from the corner shop as it's on the main route home for them.

There is the problem, the morally dead know they can defy you because you have no authority over them, therefore there is nothing you can do. There are times I wish there was a law allowing you to punch someone in the face for being antisocial/nasty. If being antisocial came with far worse costs than any benefits, there would be a lot less of it around.

snowdrops

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 08:51 »
I'M not finished yet we had some morons go into a field of sheep in lamb the other night and butcher some sheep leaving the unwanted parts of  the sheep in the field so not only did they kill the sheep but also the unborn lambs
what scum would do  this despicable act to kill the sheep this way  I ask myself :mad:

I saw this on the news a couple of weeks ago it beggars belief, I won’t say who I think may have been responsible for fear of being moderated & labelled a racist, which I’m not!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 11:03 »

I saw this on the news a couple of weeks ago it beggars belief, I won’t say who I think may have been responsible for fear of being moderated & labelled a racist, which I’m not!

I don't think there is any reason to fear moderation on here and certainly none of the mods would start chucking labels like racist around lightly. You might get asked by pm to moderate your own views if need be and of course any openly racist stuff would be removed straight away.  Making accusations about criminal acts on an open forum is dodgy ground though,  especially for John as the site owner.

It was a despicable and horrible act to kill sheep that way.  I can see why you are so disgusted Rowland  :mad:

rowlandwells

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2019, 08:06 »
I hope my topic regarding the slaughter of sheep in our village didn't upset anyone because I was only pointing out what had happened and it was not intended to point the finger at anyone concerned because basically we don't know who did this despicable act

and I apologise if I highjacked Mrs  B's topic but I felt sorry for the farmer concerned as has had really bad problems from builders rubbish fly tipping on his farm and I think this was the last straw as he well known as a good sheep farmer

it was NOT intended to cause any problems  for this site far from it hope this clears up any misunderstanding that may have arose  RW

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2019, 08:29 »
I felt sorry for the farmer concerned as has had really bad problems from builders rubbish fly tipping on his farm and I think this was the last straw as he well known as a good sheep farmer

I feel sorry for him as well.  It must have been devastating to find.

There is no problem with you telling us what happened.  As you say, we don't know who did it, but we can all sympathise with the farmer.  I agree with you that it was a disgusting thing to do and I hope the police get them.

xx
Litter

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 17:11
by GraciesGran
xx
Clearing Rubbish

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 15:40
by 8doubles
xx
Roadside litter

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2023, 10:10
by Goosegirl
clip
First good picking

Started by prakash_mib on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2020, 16:37
by al78

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 51 queries.