white rot

• 8 Replies

frazzy

white rot
« on: February 09, 2007, 00:18 »
:cry: i have the dreaded  white rot on our plot and i was gonna try growing onions in an old bath  in fresh compost do you think this would work or are the spores air born and just gonna jump into the bath. :?
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
white rot
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 08:15 »
Hi Frazzy don't know much about it but this might help.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
white rot
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 08:41 »
I can't see that the bath thing will do any harm to try - worst case is that it doesn't work. Certainly I would do it.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Plot No 2

white rot
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 12:29 »
There are two other things you could try. One is to start the onion of in pots with clean compost. When they are strong enough plant them in the soil and they might survive the rot. Secondly after the run or holes have been made, water the soil with Jeyes Fluid to kill the spores.

muntjac

white rot
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 12:39 »
take a third out of production  id order loads n loads of manure n rotavate it all in  sow a crop of mustard on that bit let it grow about a foot high n then dig it in . do a third of the plot a season as i said  so you can grow other stuff still .but dont grow anything on the manured bit except the mustard another tip would be to make high raised beds  and cover the soil  base with tarp and then fill with top soil n manure .manuring really helps sort it out "" old tales of the plot "
still alive /............

frazzy

white rot
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 13:42 »
thx guys i,m determined to try and grow my own onions this year.
i get realy envious when i see pics of other peoples onions.
if i sucseed i will take pics. :) fingers crossed

brendit

white rot
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 16:22 »
White-rot spores are soil-borne as far as I know.

Are you 100% sure it is white-rot though?  I used to think I had white rot because I lost nearly all my onions / shallots in the first month of storage.  Seems that was botrytis neck rot caused by my incorrect harvesting !    Don't pull 'em green - let the tops die back naturally.

If you really do have white rot then I have a simple suggestion ... why don't you ask a friend to grow double the amount of onions to share with you.  You can then grow something else for him/her.

shaun

white rot
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 19:56 »
agree with karl on this one (i have to now and then) build the ground up with muck n soil to get better drainage,
i might have mentioned this before but theres a chap on our plot who his a master onion grower,now he has built his onion bed about 2' higher than the rest of plot its about 10m square with manure and soil,also he rolls it down with a small garden roller layer after layer ,he says the onions grow better in a firmer soil than loose soil (not rock hard but firm)
every winter he adds 1 load of muck(3-4 ton) into this area and this is double dug in.
next time i take the camera down there i will take a pic or 2
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

muntjac

white rot
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 20:36 »
heavy manuring is what is used in lincolnshire onion farms also in lower suffok near iken

xx
White Rot

Started by Son of Steptoe on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 12:24
by mumofstig
xx
white rot

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 12:56
by Ivor Backache
xx
White fly

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 24, 2017, 12:57
by Puenktchen
xx
White Rot , again.

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 13:42
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 38 queries.