French Beans or Cabbages?

• 6 Replies

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
French Beans or Cabbages?
« on: May 24, 2017, 07:10 »
I've run out of space, until I can start lifting some potatoes - which won't be for a while.
The only bit of land not planted yet is not ideal as it is bordered by fruit trees, feels a bit enclosed and gets shade from about 4pm. I've got cabbages that desperately need planting and French beans that need sowing. Which would succeed best in this spot? Thanks for any advice.

m1ckz

Re: French Beans or Cabbages?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 07:13 »
would be cabbage for me but what do u like best lol

al78

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 11:02 »
Do both. If they are climbing beans start them in pots and let them grow to a height comparable with the cabbage, then plant out amongst the cabbage with a pole or two for them to climb. That is an efficient way of using the third dimension to maximise space efficiency, and the beans will fix nitrogen for the cabbage. Another advantage of planting both is that it is more likely one of two crops will succeed than just a single crop.

lettice

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 11:21 »
Not so sure about growing both, if its anything like my Hunter beans or cobra beans, so vigorous and spread there will be no light getting through for the cabbages.
What might be better is to grow something like a dwarf purple queen bean that would allow light to get through or even add those type of beans to a pot spaced evenly across the plot so easier to train in a wigwam from the pot with cabbages between.

victoria park

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 13:46 »
If it were me I would plant out the desperate cabbages. Shade after 4pm is not so bad considering high Summer days start at 5am.
The French beans can be sown in pots and held in them for almost a month, by which time you might feel like just lifting  a few earlies as new potatoes. Three or four potato plants soon render a lot of space.

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 15:08 »
Thanks everyone. The cabbages are going in this evening and the beans are being sown in pots. The cabbage variety is Langedjiker. I'm planning on planting them about a foot apart equidistantly to maximise space. Does that sound too close?

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 17:53 »
My only other thought would be whether the soil ph would be ideal for both. I tend to lime ground for brassicas which beans might not like.

Cheers HH

Keep digging

xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
cabbages in runner beans

Started by Sharon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 20:10
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 34 queries.