Help my chickens just don't get on.

• 9 Replies

brookieme

• Animal Farm and loving it
    • honeysucklecottage
Help my chickens just don't get on.
« on: August 14, 2014, 11:33 »
I am really worried about my two Brahma's living with my three Sussex.
I have done things by the book. Kept them separate for a few weeks but able to see one another and then gradually let them be together.
One Brahma is being pecked all on her legs and rear end and it is awful to see. I though it was about food but it isn't at all. The Sussex will not let the Brahmas's anywhere  near them and they are forever being chased off. I have had to separate them again as I feared for the Brahma's life.
It has been weeks now with no improvement.
Yesterday I built another roosting coop and run for the Brahma's and they seem happier knowing they don't have to look behind them constantly to see if one of the Sussex is coming over.
Last night they still wanted to go to roost with the Sussex as they are not used to this new coop so I let them and this morning more blood and feathers so thats it I won't do that again.
Any thoughts on this please. i did really want them all together.
The Brahma's are still young 20 weeks and the Sussex are around 32 weeks. the Brahma's will get much bigger than the Sussex so maybe then I can put them together but who know's.
Pleased to  get any help with this.
Thanks
Sue in France :)

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: Help my chickens just don't get on.
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 18:20 »
Our first lot of chickens were a mix of breeds and I'd swear that was the cause of all the hen pecking.
We had a couple of Sussex's, a Plymouth barred rock, 2 black rocks, a lohman brown, one of the French ones with the supposedly purple eggs (can't remember the breed now) and they pecked each other bald.

The majority of the group of 'chicken chums' culled them when they stopped laying last year.

Our new lot are all Lohman Browns (bred for the battery farm). They all get on well, it's our legs they go for!! :lol:
Now I'm no expert, but they might never be able to live together. :unsure:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 15:10 »
I have had some white birds hate black feathered birds with a passion almost scalping one. I culled the main ringleader and this solved the problem. I now have all colours and sizes living together with very few squabbles. Also giving them plenty of space to keep out of the other birds way helps.
Croad Langshans are supposed to lay a pinky plum coloured egg although the colour can vary immensely and is often just a pinkish bloom.
Staffies are softer than you think.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 20:22 »
I have had some white birds hate black feathered birds with a passion almost scalping one. I culled the main ringleader and this solved the problem. I now have all colours and sizes living together with very few squabbles. Also giving them plenty of space to keep out of the other birds way helps.
Croad Langshans are supposed to lay a pinky plum coloured egg although the colour can vary immensely and is often just a pinkish bloom.
I've remembered now - she was a grey Marans that was supposed to lay the purply eggs - they were all the same basic creamy brown! ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 22:20 »
Marans are supposed to lay a dark brown colour not purple.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 22:26 »
Marans are supposed to lay a dark brown colour not purple.
Well whatever dark colour they were supposed to be - they weren't!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
She was a nasty piece of work too - bullied most of the other hens :(

barley

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 17:41 »
luckily I have never had a problem with the hens , its my cockerel who is a pain , he attacks the hens  :wacko: he only comes out if I'm there to squirt him with water if he starts other wise he stays separated

you could try that - fill an empty washing up bottle with water and squirt the bully when it attacks

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 17:52 »
Is he attacking the hens or just doing what comes naturally? Cockerels don't usually bully their girls. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

brookieme

• Animal Farm and loving it
    • honeysucklecottage
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 22:34 »
luckily I have never had a problem with the hens , its my cockerel who is a pain , he attacks the hens  :wacko: he only comes out if I'm there to squirt him with water if he starts other wise he stays separated

you could try that - fill an empty washing up bottle with water and squirt the bully when it attacks
I will try the water spray. thanks for that advice

barley

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 20:06 »
Is he attacking the hens or just doing what comes naturally? Cockerels don't usually bully their girls. :)

no sassy he defiantly attacks , we have had him from 6 weeks old and he's never met another cockerel so I think as he matured the girls were fair game as a sparing partner ,  there are a couple he likes but most of them he try's to attack if he can get the chance

they are all terrified of him so most of the time he stays separated  , luckily we have a large garden so he can be out in separate areas from the girls but still see them  - I'm sure he is a psychopath LOL but I still love him  :D

xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503
xx
chickens attacking chickens

Started by mill-owner on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 29, 2009, 17:26
by mill-owner
xx
how do i sex my chickens?

Started by eshclabob on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 30, 2008, 15:53
by eshclabob

Page created in 0.224 seconds with 40 queries.