Climbers for concrete posts

• 5 Replies

JohnB

Climbers for concrete posts
« on: April 18, 2011, 11:14 »
Hi I am about to start some terraces and will be using concrete posts in the front of the timbers. I intend to paint the posts black with bitumen paint and wrap chicken or rabbit fencing around them before putting the horizontals in. I want to add climbers to further hide the concrete posts. Obviously this is for asthetic reasons so I am looking for evergreen plants but in seed form. I can find evergreen plants for sale but not in seed form? Any ideas not just on the seeds but also on what is most suitable. The terrace will face East. The first partly in shade the second in part shade but sheltered from the wind all others will be in permantly in the sun. Thank you for your time JB

Trillium

Re: Climbers for concrete posts
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 16:11 »
There are a lot of common climbers like clematis and honeysuckle, but they'll shed their leaves  in fall so not what you seem to want.

2 that keep their leaves are pileostegia viburnoides (good for north walls) and evergreen jasmine are your best bets.

I'd avoid ones like wisteria and pyracantha which will quickly swamp your posts and do more damage than anything else. Wisteria has incredibly strong limbs that could eventually damage the posts themselves, and pyracantha will spread quite wide and you'll constantly have to tame it. Same with many of the deciduous ivys.

JohnB

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 15:05 »
Thank you Trillium will look them up sounds just what i want apart from the North facing walls but will have to make do. Does it matter to much if there East facing?? Thanks again JB

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 15:51 »
No, it doesn't matter much as the one variety just doesn't care for direct south facing walls, which you don't have with those posts.

JohnB

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 14:15 »
No, it doesn't matter much as the one variety just doesn't care for direct south facing walls, which you don't have with those posts.

Hello again Trillium any ideas or has anyone else got any ideas where I can get the seeds for the climbers that Trillium advises? Thanks JB

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 18:16 »
Have you tried googling for them?

I doubt you'll find them as seeds, but rather as plants.  Try a local decent garden centre, if you have one.  There is always the RHS plant finder if all else fails. 
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Plants climbers to hide concrete posts holding back terraces

Started by echo1 on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post July 23, 2011, 18:32
by sunshineband
xx
climbers dogs don't like??

Started by Dawnuss on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 14:16
by Dawnuss
xx
quickest climbers please

Started by twisha on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post June 18, 2009, 18:14
by catllar
xx
Suggestions for Climbers

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post November 14, 2018, 15:49
by jaydig

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 35 queries.