quickest climbers please

• 10 Replies

twisha

quickest climbers please
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:57 »
please could you tell me the quickest climbers for:-
front of house= partial shade.
side fence=full sun.
i DONT want any ivy,ive managed to remove it all now from my garden (i hope!)
i want something,idealy that flowers and is evergreen,but please can you tell me roughly how much it grows per year,many thanks
wife to 1, mother to 6, my greenhouse is my sanctuary!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: quickest climbers please
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 15:21 »
That's a difficult one because you want a quick climber, but you don't want one that carries on growing very fast and swamps your house, or do you?
How high do you want it to grow when mature?

twisha

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 17:01 »
i dont mind,as long as i can cut it back when/if it gets too big,without killing it. i thought about wisteria but ive been told it takes a very long time to grow about 5+ yrs to get to a good size. i have a centrally placed front door with windows either side, im after something to train both sides and up and over the bedroom windows, but id like it be heading in all directions within a couple of years,if possible.
the fence one can go on forever along the garage/up the trees,etc.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 18:14 »
how about a climbing hydranger? I know they ae slow to grow to start with but well worth the wait, I have seena couple of houses today with it around their central doors and it looks great, think I might get a couple for my house  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

adele

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 18:36 »
we have russain ivy over our walkway, its prettier than the normal ivy and has lovely white flowers,  we have also mixed in a clematis for it, the only evergreen we have is honeysuckle which all though it grew fast its not fantastic.  adele

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 18:41 »
how about a climbing hydranger? I know they ae slow to grow to start with but well worth the wait, I have seena couple of houses today with it around their central doors and it looks great, think I might get a couple for my house  :D

But i think they root into the wall the same as ivy..................off to check :)
I'm back ::)
Yup
BBC:The craggy stems cling to the walls by adventitious roots.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 18:45 by mumofstig »

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 18:56 »
What about Boston Ivy or Virginia Creeper, especially the variety Henyii, it's beautiful.  They're not evergreen but they are fabulous with fantastic autumn colouer, especially the Boston ivy & reach a good height once they're established, they attach by suckers rather than aerial roots like true ivies so won't damage brickwork or render although they might pull the paint off if you cut a big one right back. You can cut it back if it starts getting too big.  Montana clematis are excellent for along fences too, there are varieties with lovely bronze foliage which look good with other climbers growing through them.  Also climbing roses - loads of those & again you can grow honeysuckle & summer flowering clematis through them to prolong the season.  I love climbing plants - no wall should be without one  8)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 19:01 »
How about a solanum crispum on the fence there's the blue flowered one or the very pretty album. Evergreen in all but the coldest winters :)

celjaci

• Experienced Member
  • celjaci = Bosnian peasant!
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 19:05 »
I was just about to say Potato Vine!

Our Solanum crispum 'Glasnevin' reached 20ft in 5 years but is easy to cut back.
It was an absolute picture 10 days ago , leaves hardly visible under the flowers but many knocked off now by the heavy rains
Playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order!

twisha

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 19:15 »
thankyou every1, i am going to look through pages to see what they look like,i love climbing roses,the glasnevin sounds good, although i must say most of the ones suggested i havent heard of before,so ive got some studying to do now.

catllar

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 18:14 »
What about trachyspermum or rhincospermum (I think thats how its spelt) jasminoides,  it's one of those plants that had a name change - It's a twining climber, my oldest one is 5 years old and is about 7 metres high. It is evergreen and has the most fabulously perfumed flowers in July . The flowers look and  smell like jasmin. They last about a month. If it gets cold the leaves turn a dark reddish colour. It takes to being hacked back - I've seen it trained as a close-trimmed wall-hugger. I've got several on both a south wall and an east-facing wall, and I've just planted another on a west facing wall. Its a fab plant - I love it! :D

xx
The best and quickest way ?

Started by MiklovesHerb(s) on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post April 17, 2011, 13:40
by compostqueen
xx
Quickest growing clematis that's happy in a pot?

Started by dangolding on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 07, 2008, 22:14
by gobs
xx
Suggestions for Climbers

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post November 14, 2018, 15:49
by jaydig
xx
climbers dogs don't like??

Started by Dawnuss on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 14:16
by Dawnuss

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 36 queries.