New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Newbie - but from abroad

• 8 Replies

JudithD

• Happy days
Newbie - but from abroad
« on: September 04, 2016, 14:30 »
Hi all,
please allow me to introduce myself: JudithD, in my late 40's, married, one adult son that used to help but has other obligations now. I am Dutch, have my allotment in my backgarden and am starting fresh in January 2017.
Before I can do anything, we have to renovate our recently bought house / tiny homestead.
Since I like to learn about things that interest me I would like to lurk and read on this forum, and occasionally post since English isn't my first language.
I have had a pretty decent allotment before when I was still a single mom but it became to much of a burden since I had 300m2 to cultivate by myself. I'm pretty strong but since I worked full time and was the sole carer for my son, it wasn't a pleasure anymore. So I quit. But it kept nagging...
My husband and I have just recently put our house up for sale and we are about to move to and work on our tiny 'homestead' of about 3500m2 in about two months, then renovate, then start the garden  :).
Well, I guess that about sums it up.
Hope to learn a lot from you!
Kind regards,
JudithD

P.S. you might ask yourself what I am doing here. Well, I bought a lot of seeds from eg Sutton, Chiltern, Thompson and Morgan, Mr. Fothergill, Baker Creek (USA). I think I might find more fellow users here than in the Dutch VG fora.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 14:48 by JudithD »
It ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie - but from abroad
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 19:44 »
Welcome to the forum Judith, pleased to 'meet' you. Once gardening gets under your skin, you can't ignore it can you?

Feel free to read and lurk, and post when you are ready, don't worry your English is excellent :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 08:13 »
Hi and welcome  :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 13:30 »
Welcome to the forums Judith - and thank you for the book order!

3,500M2 is a fairly big plot when you start working it! Will you be keeping any poultry on there?

Do feel free to post - your English is better than some native speakers!  :D
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

JudithD

• Happy days
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 18:18 »
Yes, we are planning on having one cockerel and five hens, probably Sussex ones since rumor has it they are excellent egg-layers. But also about 25 other ones like eg Poule de Bresse for our own meat supply. Hope I don't offend anyone. Other suggestions on kinds of chicken for their indicated use are very welcome!

Since we are planning on a polytunnel made with VarioQuick elements, an orchard containing 26 trees (lots of English varieties!) and also some bees probably next year or the year after, we will have our hands full. And then I didn't mention the Indian Runner ducks yet. They will free range in the designated and fenced orchard during the daytime, at night they are supposed to come in and get some sleep indoors.
The chickens will have their special coop with large (60m2) pen that is fox-proof and dog proof as well :-).

Just hours after we will sign the final papers from the sale at the end of this month we will start fencing our property in because our lovely young dog is very 'enthusiastic' and will start to try to escape if she can. She is a 1 year old Manchester Terrier coming from the English Eaglespur bloodline.

If anyone has any tips or tricks on those chickens, I'll be most grateful.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 19:41 »
There's a few articles over on The Poultry Pages that might be of help and interest to you including information on pasture feeding, herbs as dietary supplements, table birds and ducks.

Do post some photos when you get chance.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 15:12 »
Welcome to the site Judith and good luck for the signing of the papers at the end of the month!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JudithD

• Happy days
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 15:49 »
Thank you all for this heartwarming welcome!
We're counting the days :-)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 16:17 »
Hi from me too Judith, I've been around here for 10 years now, but now that we don't rear our chickens and turkeys anymore, I don't post as often as I used to.

I wish you lots of luck with your new venture, and having to renovate your 'new' house over the winter will give you lots of time to learn as much as you can about growing stuff and rearing chickens! 

xx
Hi , I am a newbie

Started by Longun1966 on Welcome to the Forums

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2015, 22:22
by Fairy Plotmother
xx
Newbie!

Started by Carrieanne on Welcome to the Forums

6 Replies
Last post October 11, 2017, 20:26
by Carrieanne
xx
HELP ME-I'M A NEWBIE

Started by Elixer on Welcome to the Forums

16 Replies
Last post September 29, 2016, 12:36
by Elixer
xx

Started by Martyn23 on Welcome to the Forums

8 Replies
Last post May 09, 2016, 21:40
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 40 queries.