sowing parsnips

• 11 Replies

jambop

sowing parsnips
« on: March 24, 2019, 21:43 »

So for the first time in France I am going to grow some parsnips... partly due to the fact I am installing drip irrigation as the soil gets very dry in summer . So what I did was take a steel rod belt it into the soil and rotate it to create a cone in the soil  open it out a bit with a dibber then back filled with gp compost. I then sowed three seeds on each station... the idea being to thin  down to one strong seedling when they are away. Now I just thought will the seedling that I choose automatically follow the compost even though it is not bang central? I hope so or my idea is a doozy  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: sowing parsnips
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:14 »
It sounds a great idea... parsnips do seem to have their own nature, but I imagine that if the root of one "one the edge" touched the harder soil surrounding your cone, it will turn slightly into softer soil

Only time will tell, and not until the end of the season at that! If your effort is anyhting to go by, you shold have some excellent parsnips jambop  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 08:17 »
Firstly you will be able to congratulate yourself for getting them to germinate (not everyone gets that far!)
No guarantee the roots will grow exactly where you want them to, but you've got a much better chance of straight parsnips using the technique, especially if your soil is stony.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 08:25 »
a friend and fellow gardener always puts warm water on his parsnip seed when sowing he says it helps germination he must be doing something rite as he grows very good parsnips

jambop

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 12:14 »
Firstly you will be able to congratulate yourself for getting them to germinate (not everyone gets that far!)
No guarantee the roots will grow exactly where you want them to, but you've got a much better chance of straight parsnips using the technique, especially if your soil is stony.
Soil is not stoney but is fairly shallow and dries out in the summer heat that is why I am trying drip irrigation it seems that the water gets deeper into thew soil because it is not being sprayed about the place. Now I did not know that parsnips were difficult to germinate... is it a temperature / moisture balance thing? WEe get the soil war quite early in year here so if it is temp then I might be OK. I have them sown under a small poly tunnel to keep the ground warm but if moisture is critical will have to make sure they are kept watered.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 12:28 »
I've posted this link to a table of germination rate and speed more than once before, but hopefully it remains no less relevant, and certainly shows why parsnips, traditionally sown early, either take forever to germinate, or rot or are eaten before they get round to it (note that the temperatures in the table are soil, rather than air, temperatures.)

I guess the moisture issue follows on from that - because the seeds are very papery and slow to germinate at the best of times, the chances of them drying out before germination are quite high, so they need to be kept moist at all times if possible. Good luck!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 13:33 by JayG »

timdunn

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 09:48 »
I use the same pole and compost technique every year and only get the occasional parsnip that isn’t straight. After planting my seeds and watering, I cover the row with a plank of wood for a week or so which helps reduce evaporation and germination is good. My mistake in the first few years was planting too early but less likely to be a problem where you live!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 09:49 by timdunn »

Pescador

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 14:06 »
I checked the soil temperature 1cm deep on my plot in S.Wales a couple of days ago, and it was 10C. I was pleasantly surprised that it was that warm, but I still won't sow my parsnips for another 2 or 3 weeks.
I did put a row of beetroot in, so it'll be interesting to compare emergence time with the table.
A very big Thank You to JayG for that table, very useful indeed!
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 10:01 »
JayG your link doesnt work. Could you try again please it sounds very useful.

Thank you

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 10:43 »
Try it from here ('Germination temperatures'.):
https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=3301.0

Edit: have modified link in original post and it now works (I hope!)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 13:34 by JayG »

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 11:26 »
for me parsnips seem to be one of the hardest things to grow I have started  my seed of in paper pots last year I went with toilet roll holders again couldn't seem to get things rite

but not to give up I'm going to have another go with toilet roll holders or cardboard tube I seem someone sow parsnips on the tele in toilet roll holders and they put the planted holders all together in a tray and secured them with a rubber band seemed like a good idea

when i sow the seed in the cardoard tube maybe I'm leaving it to long before planting in the ground  i could' be damaging the tap root ?

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 12:24 »
someone sow parsnips on the tele in toilet roll holders and they put the planted holders all together in a tray and secured them with a rubber band seemed like a good idea
That's exactly how I'm doing mine this year

xx
Re-sowing of parsnips

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 06:10
by Steveharford
xx
sowing parsnips in may

Started by myplot on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 27, 2015, 16:25
by sunshineband
xx
Sowing Parsnips - in May?

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 04, 2014, 20:11
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Too late for sowing parsnips?

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 17, 2018, 22:45
by Soggy bottom

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 36 queries.