How much a year for your allotment and how big is it ?

• 20 Replies

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
Sorry not sure where to post this...

Question is in the title  :D Just curious...  :lol:

Thanks!
http://www.pathlights.com/nr_encyclopedia/images/gardening.gif[/img]Froggy with a little piece of England...

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:03 »
And can I ask for the size in square meters please as imperial measures are chinese to me  :lol:

Lynne

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 13:05 »
Ours costs £15 pa, but we have it for free the first year as it's so overgrown and covered in broken glass. It's 300 sq yds so quite a big one! :wink:
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

lottiesunflower

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 14:33 »
Ours is massive, 710 square metres and our council charge us £92.10 per year.The cheapest on our site is about £42.I think our borough is one of the most expensive in the country!! and the  council do very little in the way of maintanence on communal paths.We got it Sept 06 and are gradually clearing loads of rubbish and weeds.Still ,I just love  my plot and  think its worth the annual outlay.
lottiesunflower

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 16:48 »
710 sqare meters, wow  :shock:

Mine is exactly 188 square meters and I pay £16.25 but haven't paid yet as it was so overgrown like you Lynne  :wink:

crowndale

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 17:46 »
Quote from: "Petite graine"
And can I ask for the size in square meters please as imperial measures are chinese to me  :lol:

My guess is then that you didn't attend school before 1970!  I understand metric but am far more comfortable with imperial, at least I am in feet and inches, yards and miles, pounds and ounces but everything else is chinese to me!  I grew up when times were changing and learnt imperial and metric with measurement and money, also had the privalege to be left permanently unable to spell properly thanks to ITT! Thank heavens for spell checkers and constantly changing government initiatives in education.  :wink:
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

brucesgirl

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 19:25 »
£18 pa and 96 sq yards (don't know what that is in metres)

Bobby T

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 20:13 »
Shoud be £52 but only pay £26 as a OAP :) Includes water and manure/woodchip if you can barrow it 1/4 mile.Plot is 300 sq. yards and the rent goes up one penny a yard in Nov.This year we had flood water,blight and extra weeds for no further cost.  :cry:     Bob

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 01:54 »
My guess is then that you didn't attend school before 1970

You are right, I was born in 1971 ! But the main reason is that I spent the first 29 years of my life in France  :wink:  :D

Although, yards aren't too bad to understand (I was expecting feet for some reason...) as they are about 1 metre.

For the spelling (what's ITT by the way ?), I can't believe how many people can't spell ! Even at my daughter's school I found some appalling mistakes. They just stand out so much for me (privilege of being a foreigner ?). The teachers don't even know how to use the apostrophe properly for example ! That worries me for my daugther who is starting to learn how to read. She is 5. Sometimes, I am tempted to correct the notes with a big red marker lol !

Thanks for your answers everyone !

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 01:57 »
Bobby, I didn't know OAP paid less. That's good !
Sorry to hear about the rest...

Thanks Aunt Sally, I am going to have a look at your link.

crowndale

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 08:50 »
ITT was a method favoured by a few 'progressive' types of schools in the early 60's.  Basically it meant that everything was spelt phonetically, which you'd think would make perfect sense only we're talking of the englsih language and not finnish (which I am told is an almost perfectly phonetic written language).  So I wos tawt to rite evrything just as it sownds.  this was fine til I left that school and started to attend a forces school (dad in the RAF) where they were somewhat more formal and I found myself the only 8 year old who could not spell, know her alphabet etc, though I was a very good reader but more down to good luck and my mother's intervention!  the forces school was in germany but we still learnt pounds shillings and pence and feet and inches!

The standard of teachers grammar and spelling today is down to the abandoning of teaching useful grammar during my teens and beyond for probably a full generation fo kids, who are now all adult.  I learnt more british grammar learning classical greek when I was 40 than I ever did at school, and then learnt some more when I did my teacher training a few years a go.  I can remember sitting in my no. 2 son's class about 9 years ago and listening to the teacher talking about parts of written language I had never heard of and these were 6 year kids!  So grammar is better taught now in schools than it was when I was growing up, which given the tone of your observation of your daughter's class is probably not a huge comfort!!!  :wink:

I am trying to teach my no.2 son some basic grammar and spelling at the moment.  he has severe learning difficulties and it's really not til you try to break things down into real small steps and try to see them from his point of view that you realise just how stupid the written part of our language is and I have a lot of sympathy for the chinese who simplified their written language some years ago.

brucesgirl

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 08:53 »
Hi PG agree with you completely with the spelling. At work when I get mis-spelled faxes I correct them and send them back with marks out of ten!!
Luckily most of my customers know I'm a grumpy old cow.
We should be proud of our language and know how to spell and use it.

David.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 15:59 »
1,845m2 (just under half an acre) for £42 p.a. (but there's no water).

Yet another previous thread:

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=5139

Petite graine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 16:06 »
I correct them and send them back with marks out of ten!!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Maybe I should copy the note on my daughter's notebook that made me so mad (one amongst others) and you could mark it  :lol:  :lol:

Thanks Crowndale, that's very interesting ! About grammar, that surprised me too to see how ignorant my husband was regarding grammatical terminology (I am starting to use big word, that's starting to be a bit risky for me lol...). Basic vocabulary to me like "adjectives" is completely unknown to him...

xx
Our first year.

Started by cabbagehead on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post July 28, 2009, 14:59
by cabbagehead
xx
Geraniums in their 4th if not 5th year & still going str

Started by Oliveview on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post January 29, 2007, 23:56
by John
xx
ranunculus how to keep them for next year too

Started by julietmaria on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post June 17, 2013, 14:54
by Trillium
xx
Lobelia in its second year...

Started by Growster... on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 11, 2020, 12:15
by Growster...

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 39 queries.