Watering

• 26 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Watering
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 13:13 »
Quote from: "Filament"
Quote from: "yorky"
When planting out seedlings I always water them in, regardless of how wet the soil already is. It helps to settle the soil and bring it into good contact with the rootball.

Thanks Yorkie. Even with potatoes?

Not spuds - they're not seedlings! They are planted deeper down where the soil will still be moist.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Filament

Watering
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 14:38 »
Quote from: "DD."
Quote from: "Filament"
Quote from: "yorky"
When planting out seedlings I always water them in, regardless of how wet the soil already is. It helps to settle the soil and bring it into good contact with the rootball.

Thanks Yorkie. Even with potatoes?

Not spuds - they're not seedlings! They are planted deeper down where the soil will still be moist.

OK, Thanks for the advice Yorky

Woulfeman

Watering
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 21:24 »
I like the finger test.

Is there any part of the site with nuggets like this, like a rule of thumb guide?

Dominic

Watering
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2008, 10:39 »
I was kind of hoping this would be covered in Johns book, but havent found it as of yet, I think the oldies struggle to understand just how little we know.

Dont worry though, the members here are great, ask anything and everything, they'll know.

Not sure if this is good practice, but for watering.

My trees get a 12l orange bucket from B&Q full each week, usualy saturday evening.
My fruit bushes, raspberry canes ect get about a litre with plant feed on a saturday night and another litre without on a sunday afternoon.

Everything just get whatever I can be bothered spraying them with once a week.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
Watering
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 11:23 »
I have definitely been overwatering then as I've been watering our beans, peas, mangetout  daily !

Question though, the strawberries are starting to set fruit, should I keep watering them daily to ensure healthy swelling of the berries ?
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Watering
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2008, 12:32 »
Quote from: "Dominic"
I was kind of hoping this would be covered in Johns book, but havent found it as of yet, I think the oldies struggle to understand just how little we know.

Are you saying John's an oldie? :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

woodburner

Watering
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2008, 13:29 »
Quote from: "fibilou"
I have definitely been overwatering then as I've been watering our beans, peas, mangetout  daily !

Question though, the strawberries are starting to set fruit, should I keep watering them daily to ensure healthy swelling of the berries ?

The usual recommendation is that a good soaking once a week is better than a light watering once a day. (Roots and all that.)
You don't want to soak the ground every day though, it leaches out all the soluble nutrients.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
Watering
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2008, 13:47 »
Thanks, I've been watering directly at the roots so will give it a rest. They're mulched with hay which hopefully keeps them moist.

woodburner

Watering
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2008, 14:46 »
Quote from: "fibilou"
Thanks, I've been watering directly at the roots so will give it a rest. They're mulched with hay which hopefully keeps them moist.

Watering direct to the roots is different, you use a lot less water than if you water from the surface, so you can do it every day. Cucurbits need a lot of water, especially. They're the only things I water at the roots, oh and tomatoes but they're in pots.

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
Watering
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2008, 15:03 »
I've been doing the courgettes and cukes at the roots, the runner beans, the newly planted brussels sprouts and the fruit bushes.

Dominic

Watering
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 18:17 »
well, I'm in my 20's and have never grown anything before, so most people on here would be oldies to me...

crackedflowerpots

Watering
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 20:24 »
once we have stuff planted out we water as often as we can during the week unless we have a GOOD amount of rain but in this very hot weather we water every night, walking up and down the paths to the main tank armed with 2 watering cans each and as a bonus we get a lovely tan 8)  8)
if it grows, it grows! if it doesnt ,, ah well .. there's always next year. :-)

xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Watering

Started by Siouxfly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 21:08
by sunshineband
xx
Watering

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 10:08
by gobs
xx
watering

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2013, 14:23
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 38 queries.