All excited about seed order!

• 18 Replies

Oscar Too

« on: October 30, 2007, 10:07 »
Got my seed order in for next year.

I had forgotten the excited feeling - it's like waiting for Christmas when I was a kid.  Soon all those lovely little bundles of DNA vegetable potential will start coming through the door, and I can muse on the power of the life-force as we spend long evenings listening to music and sowing things.

Lovely!

bean

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 10:15 »
It is exciting isn't it. I am very jealous as I am on the waiting list for an allotment. I am pretty certain of getting one this autumn/winter as some new ones are being created. But as with all these things it is taking much longer than expected. So I can't place my seed order until I get it even though I know exactly what I want  :( . .

I can't wait!

Oscar Too

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 10:40 »
Hi Bean

I've said this before:  When I wanted an allotment, I was told that there was more chance of seeing Adolf Hitler on This Is Your Life than of getting on the waiting list.  Six weeks later I was digging.  How?  I got down to the sites and spoke to the manager.  He was happy to let me have a half plot with another newby.  I've now got the whole plot.  

If you're not already doing it, get down to the site, show your face, talk to the manager, let people know that you're interested.  Tell them you'll share if you like - you may find someone who can't manage a whole plot but who doesn't want to give up.

Good luck!

muntjac

Re: All excited about seed order!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 10:54 »
Quote from: "Oscar Too"
Got my seed order in for next year.

I had forgotten the excited feeling - it's like waiting for Christmas when I was a kid.  Soon all those lovely little bundles of DNA vegetable potential will start coming through the door, and I can muse on the power of the life-force as we spend long evenings listening to music and sowing things.

Lovely!

wow       :shock:  id hate to be around if santa fell down ur chimney  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
still alive /............

bean

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 11:39 »
Thanks Oscar Too. I will take your advice. I do keep popping down to see if the fencing round the new bit has gone up yet, but will get my self down there more often and start getting to know people. As you say half the time its being known rather than anything else.

littlemisssunshine

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 12:17 »
That's how I did it, was told there was a waiting list.  I kept chatting to the other allotment holders, eventually one said he'd had enough of managing it, but insisted I got his plot!  He only had a few chickens on one bit, the rest he had abandoned already.

The parish councillor who sorts out our rent was lovely, and a bit overwelmed by my enthusiasm to tackle the sea of weeds!

As it turned out there was no waiting list but I think they like to give that impression.

I have just receieved my seed order - I am SO exciting.  I keep rearranging them in the drawer.

My friends are threatening to have me sectioned, I am a proud allotment bore!

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 12:43 »
yep thats the best way imo get to know the lettings manager, i know because i am the lettings manager for our plots and if i can see the person is keen and willing to do the work then i will sneek them in faster rather than chance somebody i have never met and hasent taken the time to come and introduce themselfs. maybe its the wrong way but its my way and so far nobody has let me down YET lol

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 12:50 »
I have learnt over the years not to get my seeds to early, I just want to get them going  :cry:  and cant.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

brucesgirl

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 17:52 »
Oh thank goodness Aidy - I was starting to think I was the only one not to have them ordered!!

crowndale

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 18:06 »
Quote from: "alan42"
yep thats the best way imo get to know the lettings manager, i know because i am the lettings manager for our plots and if i can see the person is keen and willing to do the work then i will sneek them in faster rather than chance somebody i have never met and hasent taken the time to come and introduce themselfs. maybe its the wrong way but its my way and so far nobody has let me down YET lol

As someone who has waited over 18 months for a plot I'm afraid I take exception to nepotism winning over waitng lists.  The wait list is there for a reason and the only fair way to allocate plots is to use it.  Fine if there is no wait list but if I'd discovered people getting plots ahead of me simply because they showed up on site and pestered or because they know the holder of the wait list there would be hell to pay.  It's one thing to help out a current plot holder but to get your own plot you should go through the existing set up and if thats a wait list then you should have to have to wait.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

littlemisssunshine

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 18:20 »
Ooooh I feel guilty now crowndale.  However I did double check there was no waiting list where I live.  I think there are 3 plots on the site I am on that are vacant.

At £14 a year I am tempted to have 2!!!  I am sorry you are still waiting.

crowndale

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 18:37 »
If there is no wait list sunshine then I have no argument with you!  It was Alan's sneaking in of people he's met over those he hasn't that I object to.  And thanks for the encouragement over my wait; I'm now number one on the list tra la (skips off into another forum still smiling like a 5 year old at Christmas).

Sally A

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 21:49 »
i get quite excited about ordering and receiving seed too :oops:

muntjac

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 21:59 »
i wont bother getting any till feb march at least  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  by then the suppliers have sold all last years repacked stuff

gobs

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 22:11 »
Well, on the other hand, the sold outs I got, make me put my order in early.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Got my seed order done

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 16, 2009, 00:29
by Paul Plots
xx
Seed order disappointment

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 07, 2019, 12:49
by DHM
xx
I think ive overdone the seed order..

Started by welsh boyo on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post February 08, 2008, 15:37
by Trillium
xx
Seed Potato Order

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 19:04
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 37 queries.