seed trays

• 8 Replies

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
seed trays
« on: February 20, 2012, 13:24 »
Is there anything I should be starting off in seed trays out it's it too early yet
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

TheSpartacat

Re: seed trays
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 13:52 »
People are starting off their Aubergines, Chillis and Tomatoes around about now... to be ready to transfer to a greenhouse environment when larger. If you're planning to grow tomatoes outdoors there's time enough to sow them in March.
Onions and Leeks can be started. And some Autumn cabbage, Sprouts... (sow undercover outdoors, or in a cool cool window sill, they don't like heat)
Lettuce is another that you can start with now...
It depends if you have a polytunnel/greenhouse or are intending to just transplant into the open.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 13:53 by TheSpartacat »

mattwragg94

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 14:17 »
 id agree with everything thespartcat says you could also try some early onward peas and some broad beans

richrua

• Experienced Member
    • allotment ireland
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 14:43 »
I have started some early onions at about two seeds per module. These I am going to plant out and have as spring onions.

I also have a few broad beans in pots.

Also I popped a few onion sets into 'peat'/cardboard pots . these will go out pot and all. I tried this before and it works well for getting the sets going.

Apart from that, I have some sweet peas, three to a small pot, for the flowers coz I like em!

(PS - I have a small lean to frame which helps me start things off).
You'll never plow a field by turning it over in your mind.

"Tús maith leath na hoibre."

bigben

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 14:48 »
My garlic is already in from last October. I planted a hundred onion sets at the weekend - another 400 to go in next weekend unless the weather is horrible. I have planted a dozen chilli plants and put them on the windowsill.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 15:23 »
A check  of the back of your seed packets would be a good idea as the info about when to sow is all there

Perhaps you could sort them into a monthly sowing order. A good job for when the weather is unfit for working outdoors  :)

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 15:30 »
Perhaps you could sort them into a monthly sowing order. A good job for when the weather is unfit for working outdoors  :)

The weathers been so bad mine are in a monthly and alphabetical order .... if it carries on the herbs will be in order of what goes well with beef, then chicken, lamb, pork and then veg  :tongue2:

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 15:33 »
 :D :lol:

I got a monthly sowing planner just through the post from Moles Seeds (huge great thing for putting on the wall)  I shall get my best pen out and start filling it in.  I love these jobs. Just the thing to keep my hands occupied from seed sowing and eating  :)

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 15:43 »
Theres something sooo satisfying about planning with a pen and paper, it really shouldnt be overlooked.... or having too many seed trays phoenix, it's amazing how quick you get through them once you get sowing  ;)

xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil
smiley
my new little seed trays

Started by peedee555 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 05, 2014, 00:45
by peedee555
xx
seed trays.

Started by denbo73 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 19, 2007, 19:06
by legendaryone
xx
Leeks in seed trays

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2022, 16:39
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 38 queries.