Irritating petulant utterances...

• 14 Replies

Growster...

Irritating petulant utterances...
« on: October 02, 2017, 07:49 »
'Blue and green should never be seen'... (she got that totally wrong, didn't she; best colours to match each other)!

'A true gentleman uses a butter knife, even when dining alone'. (rubbish, my hands don't shake at all when I put it back)!

There must be more, so vent your feelings here, and feel better for it...

Goosegirl

Re: Irritating petulant utterances...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 13:40 »
Little girls should be seen and not heard. That's what one of my uncles used to tell me when I was visiting. It's rude, sexist and disrespectful especially as I was a rather quiet child.

It's alright for some. Blah! You might have saved up for years to buy something you really wanted, been through a really bad spell of bad luck and treated yourself big-time. It does reveals the little green-eyed monster in some people who I now try to avoid.

Pull your socks up! Woah! Wait a minute! Only those who have floundered in the deep blue depths of despair know how ****** irritating and negative that is, when all you need is to be held in the arms of friends and to hear how well you're doing under the circumstances.

Come on, hurry up! Hang on! Nowadays I can only go so fast especially some days when I'm struggling to walk, hold my handbag, umbrella, walking stick, and shopping. Whaddya think I am? Sherpa Tensing???

I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 16:04 »
What you want to do is... meaning what they think you should do, nothing at all to do with what I want to do.

Well my key's been working ok After I've just changed the lotty gate lock because it's refusing to unlock for most keys. They always decline though when I offer to swap their working key for mine that doesn't. (guess what I've been doing this morning).

You should have... Expressed by any member of the shudder crew after any incident, you shudder done this, you shudder done that..

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 18:33 »
Oh, all of these - thankyou!

Somehow the theme of 'holier than thou' creeps in, doesn't it...

Not sure whether to blame grandparents or just parents sometimes, as now I'm both, I think I've heard the lot!

Goosey, nobody tells us that they're better when they're thick enough to think we're sacrosanct. You're a shining example of a winner - bless you! x

Blewit, 'You should have' is a real pain, and one I hate, so well spotted!

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 18:42 »
The grass is always greener on the other side- not on new turves it isn't 😂
If I were you- well you're not & never will be.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 21:49 »
Any improvement can only be for the better- a much loved and often repeated saying by my mum, which although undeniably true eventually loses its impact (she's 90 now so can be forgiven, although it could explain why I still live in Sheffield and she in Hastings!  :lol:)

It is what it is - pretty fond of this phrase myself, although it falls flat on its feet as a philosophy if you have no idea what 'it' is.  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

al78

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 17:14 »
"If you don't like the answer, don't ask the question." This is illogical. You don't know the answer which is why you are asking the question, so how can you know if you like it or not? Secondly, you might need to know the answer even if it might be something you don't want to hear (e.g. Will you marry me?).

"Things were so much better in my day." No they weren't, you just have nostalgia bias. You remember the good (memorable) things and have forgotten the bad (forgettable) things. And no, the summers were not always warm and sunny, and the winters were not always cold and snowy (the UK has never had the climate of southern Canada). Again, you think this because you are selectively remembering those seasons, because it is when you will be enjoying them as a child, and thus they stick in the mind. Sitting indoors reading a book in mid summer with the rain lashing down does not tend to stick in the mind 60 years later, having a lovely day out with mum and dad at the beach in hot sunshine does.

"There is always someone worse off than you." Well yes, a great way to trivialize anyone's problems but that doesn't help solving the current problem, which needs to be addressed regardless of who else is in a worse position. I appreciate that there are some in the Caribbean who have had their lives ruined by two hurricanes, but that doesn't stop it being annoying that it starts raining every time I want to do something outdoors this month.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 17:19 by al78 »

madcat

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 19:17 »
Eat it up - there are people starving in Africa  So they can have the liver/kidney/cold custard/whatever!  I don't want it.  And whether I eat it or not isn't going to make the least difference to them ....  >:(

Nobody is going to be looking at you  I know the idea is to reduce teenage embarassment, but actually it just devalues the person with the message that they aren't worth looking at.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

maxyboo

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 20:59 »
Cheer up, it may never happen. - Well maybe it has happened and that person is going through a tough time. Just leave them be.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 21:30 »
It's character forming.... Everything I didn't want to do, was - apparently.

Hard work never killed anyone.... as opposed to that well known killer - idleness.

Including most of those posted already ML had 100's more, If I didn't know better I'd think there were some protestant or calvinist in the family  ::)

.. cold custard..
Who wastes 1/3 of a trifle ?  :tongue2:

madcat

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2017, 09:22 »
.. cold custard..
Who wastes 1/3 of a trifle ?  :tongue2:

Shudder!!! Which is why I could never get on with trifle or creme caramel or blancmange or anything with a mouth feel like that .... I know.  A complete heathen.   ::) :D

Not for all the tea in China would I (something minor like eating trifle)...  Bet you would!  That is a heck of a price ...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 10:03 »
'Worse things happen at sea' - do you seriously think that is going to make me feel instantly better?  :mad: (Smacking you in the gob might just work though!  :lol:)

al78

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 14:12 »
Hard work never killed anyone....

I'm certain that is false. I'm sure the navvies back in the 18th and 19th centuries who first dug the canals then built our railway network suffered more than a few fatalities over the decades.

People also die in winter snowstorms every year from heart attacks by over-exerting themselves shoveling snow.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30119410

Goosegirl

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 15:46 »
You'll get over it! Huh? YOU might, then I'm not you and never will be, thank God. I've managed to get over things you would never believe and am the better for it (not to mention an army training course where I went up and down that high net like a rat up and down a drain-pipe).

Come on, shape yourself! Excyuuooze me for breathing. I'm doing my best and if it isn't good enough for you - tough!

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 17:15 »
I used to help out in a pub (for free), and remember a silly little man watching me carefully pour a 'lively' beer. It needed careful positioning, as otherwise, it'd have frothed everywhere.

'You'll never make a barman', he smirked...

There are times when a well swung clout might have just solved the issue quite quickly, as I never intended to be a barman, just someone helping family.

(Expletive deleted).

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 40 queries.