hello all

• 4 Replies

longey

hello all
« on: November 27, 2011, 14:15 »
hi everyone my name is dave long i.e LONGEY forum name ,im a 62 yr old male with 3 yrs more work to do then its ,give it some allotment time, im a very keen gardener ,who kept up a fantastic garden for 20+ yrs ,till kids married off,then alas i grassed it all over,(broke my heart, but made wife +grandkids happy)
ive secured a plot on a local allotment,ive double dug +weeded & manured with somereally well rotted crew yard manure ,hope to get some good returns from it as surrounding plots grow really well
A query i would like to ask the forum excuse my ignorance is regarding shallots ,ive always grown from sets, but ive purchased dobies f1 ambition seeds ,does each plant only make 1 bulb or does it multiply as does sets, thanks for any replies

dave

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: hello all
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 15:48 »
Hi Dave and welcome.:) I'll move your question into the GYO board, that way the experts are bound to see it. :D
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 16:31 »
Hi Longey, growing shallots from seed will produce one shallot per seed unlike growing from sets. I personally prefer growing from seed as I find they are less likely to bolt and also the seed grown shallots are bigger.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

longey

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 18:40 »
cheers nikkithefoot
is there any difference in flavour ,with seed or sets ,did you notice mate

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 19:00 »
Hi Longey, growing shallots from seed will produce one shallot per seed unlike growing from sets. I personally prefer growing from seed as I find they are less likely to bolt and also the seed grown shallots are bigger.
If you save the bulbs you grow from seed, and plant them the next year, will they divide?
Rachael

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 36 queries.