Rain

• 12 Replies

New Hampshire lover

Rain
« on: May 28, 2008, 10:42 »
Do you have to let your chickens out even it's raining. As the guy next to me doesn't let his out if it rains but the other guy above me does. Has anybody got any advice, thanks!!

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
Rain
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 10:45 »
mine go out whatever the weather rain snow hail wind lol so long as they can get into their house if tey want they seem to be fine. :)

kattcottrell

• Experienced Member
    • www.funkychickengifts.com
Rain
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:26 »
I was just saying in another post about my chickens and the rain, there is a cover over the run but the grass is sodden, can't be any good for their poor little tootsies, trouble is their house is quite small and they don't go in there to take shelter, I'm gonna buy bark chips to cover the ground, it might help with the mud situation and as they've ruined the grass already a few bits of bark isn't going to hurt.

The whole family are getting fed up with me :roll:  as all I'm talking about at the moment is 'the poor chickens and how miserable they look out there in the rain.
Katt

Porffor

Rain
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 12:07 »
Mine are out in the rain all the time and happy. They have found a little shelter under a hedge that for one and the other sits at the top of the ramp as the roof overlaps it. :) BUT.. i have put a dog carrier in there so they could go in there or the house itself which is open, but they are obviously happier where they are.

Given that we live in Wales they'll be used to rain i'm sure.. and i'll have to be strong. :)

I guess we just worry too much  :?:

Vember

Rain
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:10 »
we're in mist & rain too, my lot look real wet & horrid but they're still out having fun eating worms, the side door is open so they could come in the kitchen if they were bothered about getting wet :)

Mo came in but thats cause she's greedy and knows there's cat food about  :lol:

treacleminer

Rain
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 12:34 »
Mine go out, but can find shelter - under their house, under the hedge or under the trampoline! - haven't spotted any on top of the trampoline yet.

Porffor

Rain
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 12:35 »
lol we nearly incorporated our trampoline into the chicken run! :lol:

I need to add a proper shelter, but Hubby is planning one of wood so they can have their feed under it too. :)

muntjac

Rain
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 12:38 »
chickens are pheasant related so dont wory so much about them getting wet they would do if you didnt keep them instead of runing wild ,they have natural barriers of thier own to cope with bad weather :wink:
still alive /............

Porffor

Rain
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 13:21 »
Thanks Muntjac :)
We have just nipped out and put up a slightly bigger shelter (old kitchen unit door and some legs) lol so now one hen is in the dog carrier and one in the shelter! :lol:

I'm sure they'll be out and about once dried off a bit. :lol:

Vember

Rain
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 13:54 »
Here's some of my babies enjoying the summer sun "NOT"

This was taken half hour ago    :lol:

An here's the view for today ...

As you can see they're all happy  :?

Porffor

Rain
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 13:59 »
:lol: do they go for a paddle?
Great pics. :) it's pretty much like that here.. we have a sea view out the front but it depends on the weather, we are on a hillside, so depends on the level of mist/fog as to whether we can see the sea on a rainy day! lol

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Rain
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 14:23 »
Mine go out in any weahter, they didn't think too much to the snow over easter and were very bedraggled at the weekend but they dont seem to have come to any harm.  As long as they have some sort of shelter they should be alright,  if they want to go inside they will if they want to stay outside and get wet then thats up to them

compostqueen

Rain
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 15:09 »
I thought with all the rain they'd turn in early but nope. I had to go and put them to bed with the help of a bit of corn.  Dirty stop-outs

mine seem to love being out in the rain. They have cover if they want it but I suppose the worms and slugs are more interesting  :D

question
Rain,rain and more......what is the best surface to keep chickens on?

Started by mad mark on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 23, 2009, 21:13
by Sopho
xx
Rain?

Started by lightyears on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 19:44
by alisonwo
xx
rain...

Started by Sarah J on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2008, 20:10
by too many girls
xx
all this rain ......

Started by eveshamchelle on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 06, 2009, 22:58
by joyfull

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 38 queries.