Daily Harvest Post

• 353 Replies

Beetroot queen

Daily Harvest Post
« on: August 06, 2009, 13:00 »
It would be lovely if we could show off our harvests, but rather than have 20 million posts just use one big one, its lovely to show off what we have collected

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours  :tongue2: sounds rather rude doesnt it  :blush:

Roast dinner on the menu tonight  :D

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 13:13 by DD. »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Daily Harvest Post
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 14:01 »
Harvested my onions from sets today. Probably the best ever. Variety is "Centurion".

A few of them:

All of them:

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 16:09 »
Wow love the onions, we have just used the last of the stored ones, by golly they make your eyes leak, I was virtually blind by the time I finished chopping  :lol:

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 20:19 »
Harvested my onions from sets today. Probably the best ever. Variety is "Centurion".

Nice size & shape - are they still a bit green to have a taste? Im still looking for something that tastes right to grow next year.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 23:55 »
Done it once...can do it again  ;)

Think I'm gonna pull up some spuds tomorrow, a couple of plants have died down so....fingers crossed!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 05:33 »

Nice size & shape - are they still a bit green to have a taste? Im still looking for something that tastes right to grow next year.

Not tasted them yet, and won't be doing until they're well dry! (About next July the way this weather's going). Still using up the winter onions.

Agree about the shape - I hate those with flat bottoms where you waste half the onion chopping the root off!

As usual I fell for the write up at the local nursery, which said it had high yields and excellent flavour. At least the first one's right!

argaric

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 08:00 »
lots of shallots  :)

shallots.jpg

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 08:16 »
An untidy pile of shallots!

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 15:40 »
Today's efforts, including Garlic that I'd not been expecting to produce!!

Along with the onions, pulled a couple of days ago?

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 17:22 »
Garlic, beetroot, dwarf french bean's, spinach, kale and runner bean's for us today.
Thanks
Kris

Sal1610

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 19:53 »
French beans, borlotti beans, salad leaves, spinach, courgettes and a marrow (i.e. a courgette that hid under a leaf for two days and grew like Topsy) for me today - will get some pics over the weekend

wighty

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 21:56 »
Today's efforts, including Garlic that I'd not been expecting to produce!!

Along with the onions, pulled a couple of days ago?

I am so glad somebody elses garlic is only spring onion sized.  Mine were planted in October so should have 'suffered' the necessary cold spell.  Will speak to Colin at the Garlic  Festival next weekend as to what went wrong.

I am so glad somebody elses garlic is only spring onion sized.  Mine were planted in October so should have 'suffered' the necessary cold spell.  Will speak to Colin at the Garlic  Festival next weekend as to what went wrong.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 22:00 by DD. »

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 22:08 »
No pics from me - my rechargable batteries are finally no longer rechargeable. But Im very proud of myself so bear with my story (or not!)

Second year of plot - first year did well on peas, beans and swede and not much else of note. Been ill with Crohns this year so missed a month of vital growing time, and have been playing catch up since then.

Our next door neighbours Bill and Brenda - both in their eighties - have had it rough recently. Bill has had a hip replacement and been diagnosed with cancer, Brenda has also had a new hip and probs with her back

Anyway - to cut a boringly long story short.  Brenda used to Dig For Victory back in the war, and has always taken a keen interest in my plot stories.  Today was the first time Ive been able to take them round a 'veg box'. They had garlic, onions, spuds, courgettes, cabbage, lettuce, herbs and carrots with plenty more to come.  Their faces were fantastic.  Best ever day Ive had with my produce, and I thought I was a tight wad!

"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 09:25 »
Vanilla the cat inspects the coffee morning harvest:

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 10:32 »
Garlic looks a bit green, Mick. Has it cloved yet?

All looks good though.

Yeah Dave, they've all cloved! There are some 'normal sized cloves' under that pile somewhere! lol! I pulled both the onions and the Garlic up earlier than I would have liked as with all this rain things had started to rot and I got a wee bit scared! lmao!! I thought best have some small bits than rotted bits  ???

xx
Todays Harvest - my first harvest post

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 20:34
by crowndale
xx
Post harvest.

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2014, 20:05
by maddave
xx
Daily Harvest

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

243 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:59
by comfreykid
xx
Daily Harvest - 2014

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

628 Replies
Last post December 29, 2014, 16:09
by AnneB

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 39 queries.