cockerel, or not a cockerel?

• 3 Replies

Craigx

• Experienced Member
cockerel, or not a cockerel?
« on: March 17, 2012, 10:32 »
Hello

As many of you might no, i have 3 silkies, but i know 2 are females and have gone broody(one is a part time broody tho, keeps leaving her egg) but the 3rd one im starting to doubt is female, how do i find out if its a he, not a she?

his face is different to the other to, so confused..

also do broody silkies still lay? as i keep getting eggs and iv read they dont, but now im alittle concerned...

does anyone have a image or images of male silkies for some comparison

Craig
My wife, The kids, Coco the dog, Abunch of hens,

jennie hennie

Re: cockerel, or not a cockerel?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 13:11 »
I don't know about cockerels but I've bantam x's & Bluebell's forever going broody ::) She will keep laying until she thinks she's a clutch to sit on, usually 12 -15 I think? Despite removing her and the egg from nestbox they seem to keep count of how many should be there and then stop laying for a while.At least Bantams are less destuctive than LF so look on the bright side and should you want they're usually good mums. Letting them hatch eggs doesn't stop them going broody again though, as I was told!
Once a broody hen stops laying then I put her in the Naughty basket & that usually breaks the cycle.
 :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 13:20 »
My 2 white silkies were forever broody, but rarely laid an egg, which is a bit of a bummer when you are trying to breed from them!

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 12:09 »
Hi, If your third bird is a cockerel he will be bigger than the others, his face will be a mulberry colour (dark maroon), he will have some hard feathers in his tail and rather than a pompom on his head he will have more of an elvis style, with longer feathers potruding back over.
He should also have a walnut looking piece of skin developing above his beak, once again mulberry in colour.
He will be more upright in his stance and if the same age as your girls should be crowing and dancing round your girls by now.
He will also be quite aloof, not wanting to feed from your hand and feeding the girls.

Hope this helps  :D

xx
Cockerel

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 20:52
by Honeysuckle
xx
Cockerel or not?!

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 18:49
by joyfull
xx
cockerel?

Started by foxi loxi on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 14:36
by foxi loxi
xx
Little Cockerel

Started by RobfromDeal on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 14:57
by IMOmimey

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 38 queries.