Herb Bed

• 9 Replies

teabelly

Herb Bed
« on: March 21, 2012, 12:38 »
I'm going to be planting herb bed and was wondering of there's anything I should avoid?

I know mint is best kept in a separate pot bit are there others that should separated?

I definitely will be growing basil, rocket, coriander, tarragon & chives...

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
Re: Herb Bed
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 13:01 »
Yes definitely mint in a pot. Similarly with borage (a WONDERFUL herb) which takes over big-time. But if a herb harden is well maintainted it is a fairly straighforward job to prevent some things trying to take over. And it can look nice if you pop the pot among the main herb bed - adds height and "texture" to a herb bed.

Ive just done my herb bed finally - moved the main herbs I had from a small raised bed they lived in last year to a large part of the lawn at home that I dug and landscaped at the weekend, and planted a few dozen others out with some starting from seed now.

"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

mrs mud

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 13:05 »
That all sounds good to me

I am doing pretty much the same, the corriander can go to seed very easily so you may need to sow little and often.  The chives are my fave, the bees love them.  I'm also putting my little gem and radish in the same bed this year, but little and often so it's always fresh.  
"Potters always play dirty!"

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 13:14 »
ah yes re: coriander. Really needs keeping on top of for that very reason and little, often approach with its sowing works wonders.

Now I might try basil outside this year in part of the herb bed - normally I do it on the window sill (still using some of last year's) but it has such a lovely fragrance and is a beautiful looking leaf it would look lovely in the herb bed.

I would also recommend - for visuals and most certainly smells: chocolate mint, curry plant, thai basil, fennel. Brushing against those in the height of summer is a wonderful experience as the heady smells are given off.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 13:18 »

Angelica can grow up to be a monster,  but the bees and hoverflies go wild for it.  If you have a space.  .  .  .One herb I should give the elbow is RUE !    Nasty thing  and soooo smelly.    Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 13:24 »
I grow quite a few herbs but parsley, oregano, thyme and sage are the ones I use the most. All but parsley are tough perennials but easy to manage in a bed.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 13:54 »
I grow quite a few herbs but parsley, oregano, thyme and sage are the ones I use the most. All but parsley are tough perennials but easy to manage in a bed.

Same list here, with the addition of two types of mint (in sunken pots), bay, rosemary and chives - all  do well in well-drained soils in a sunny position except the parsley which seems to prefer something a bit richer and moister. The mint pots are also in a slightly shady position, mainly to stop the pots drying out too quickly.

French tarragon will be added when I find some.  :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 14:13 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 13:58 »
Oregano can self seed readily - but it's one of those herbs that smell delightful when pulling up rogue plants.  Oregano is a huge bee and butterfly attractor when in flower.

Basil - can be a little tender to be growing outdoors.  They do like it warm and sheltered.

Rocket & coriander can readily go to seed - do make sure you keep the plants well watered during hot dry periods.  Also, sow direct - transplanting can trigger them to bolt.  Successional sowings every 3 weeks for fresh leaves.

teabelly

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 20:34 »
Thanks everyone  :)

I do actually love oregano but I was told that's difficult to grow...I might give it a go!

I an hoping to harvest some of the coriander seeds to but I'll definitely sow little & often for the leaves

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 20:48 »
Oregano isn't that difficult to grow.  It's a Mediterranean plant so it hates being waterlogged and likes a lot of sunshine.  It does well in pots too.  Give it a go. :)
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
is there a herb.......

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 21:39
by Madame Cholet
xx
Is this a herb?

Started by Neezy13 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 06:23
by arugula
xx
Herb help please

Started by Cazzy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 13:42
by madcat
xx
herb germination?

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 10, 2013, 23:21
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.298 seconds with 39 queries.