salad and herb bed

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

salad and herb bed
« on: October 28, 2019, 17:39 »
I was thinking about using one of our raised beds just for our salad crops say lettuce spring onion radish and dedicating another bed for our herbs hopefully leaving the herbs in permanent place and I though with the salad bed plenty of compost and manure mix also I'm not sure if one can grow lettuce in the same place for one season I guess I would need to use another bed for the salad crops the following season ?

i was thinking that way would make growing our salad crops more manageable as we are growing our salad crops in rows at present as this is a new idea i just wanted to get some feed back  to see if some of you grow your salads in dedicated [raised] bed and if you think this is a good idea or not to try

#

Growster...

Re: salad and herb bed
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 17:57 »
That's a great idea, RW.

We like putting in a few seeds of rocket, lamb's lettuce etc about now, but in a cold GH, and they just love the attention!

It's a real treat to get a few fresh leaves, especially as they cost a fortune in the shops, and for such a small outlay!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 22:35 »
I don't think lettuce has any crop rotation requirements, but spring onion and mustard, for example, are members of crop families where it's suggested you should rotate.  So it will depend partly on what you plan to grow.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowlandwells

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 17:30 »
I think your rite Yorkie what your saying about the onion family so maybe best to just concentrate on a bed of lettuce and a bed for spring onions

xx
is there a herb.......

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 18, 2010, 21:39
by Madame Cholet
xx
Herb help please

Started by Cazzy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 04, 2010, 13:42
by madcat
xx
Is this a herb?

Started by Neezy13 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 06:23
by arugula
xx
Herb Bed

Started by teabelly on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 21, 2012, 20:48
by Ice

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 38 queries.