Show us your bakes!

• 308 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Show us your bakes!
« Reply #300 on: July 22, 2023, 18:42 »
I didn’t bake these, they were cooked in a frying pan, but they are bread so sort of count.

Took a cup of sourdough starter today to make flat breads.  OH declared them a triumph and a couple didn’t last 5 minutes  ::)

We had them for tea and he’s polished off every crumb  :lol: 
IMG_5961.jpeg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #301 on: July 22, 2023, 20:52 »
*drool* so where's the recipe?  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #302 on: July 22, 2023, 22:50 »
 :lol:

2 cups bread flour
1 cup sourdough starter
1/2 cup milk
1tsp salt

Mix to a dough and leave to rise a minimum of 2 hours, but up to 12.
Divide into 8. Roll out and cook in a hot frying pan with just a little oil brushed on each side. Turn 3-4 times until slightly risen and brown spots on each side.

Yummy and reheat in oven very well. Allegedly freeze well but I never got a chance to try that.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #303 on: December 14, 2023, 12:28 »
Bananas were slowly going to pot in the fruit bowl, so I baked a simple banana cake.

OH was beside himself and couldn’t wait so the first slice was probably cut too soon. The cake was still steaming  ::)

I’m not a banana fan, so he has the lot to himself, although I think he would fight me for it if I tried to snaffle some  :lol:
IMG_6109.jpeg
IMG_6110.jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #304 on: December 14, 2023, 17:17 »
:lol:

2 cups bread flour
1 cup sourdough starter
1/2 cup milk
1tsp salt

Mix to a dough and leave to rise a minimum of 2 hours, but up to 12.
Divide into 8. Roll out and cook in a hot frying pan with just a little oil brushed on each side. Turn 3-4 times until slightly risen and brown spots on each side.

Yummy and reheat in oven very well. Allegedly freeze well but I never got a chance to try that.

Have you by any chance got a good wholemeal sourdough recipe please? I’m wanting to get a sourdough going again after Christmas, but my wholemeal bread has always been heavy, so thought if I did sourdough & yeast it might be like the artisan ones you can buy?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #305 on: December 14, 2023, 20:31 »
My starter is wholemeal and if I make loaves, I use the recipe below.  You can sub up to 50% of the flour for wholemeal or rye and get a good result.  If you want to do all wholemeal or get an authentic artisan style bread, you have to work harder.  Make the dough, let it rise for 1 hour, tip it out and knead, then repeat 3-4 times, before forming loaves that will take another 4-5 hours to rise. 

My basic method is make the sponge, leave 12 hours or so, form dough, leave to rise, bake.  I usually make the sponge in the morning, make the dough and form the loaves that evening, then bake the next morning.  Only slash the top of the loaves just before they go into the oven.  Lots of time required, but most of it does not involve you doing anything and I don’t faff around with the multiple kneading bit.  It is good, but won’t quite have the flavour or the large holes that an artisan loaf would. 

Sponge - 500g white bread flour, ladle of starter, 600-650ml water - it should be a sticky and fairly wet mix.

Dough - add 600g white bread flour flour and 25g salt and knead for 10 mins.  It starts fairly wet, but tightens up and becomes a dough that fights you back.

Preheat the oven.  Bake for 10 mins at 220 degrees C, then turn down to around 180 for 20-50 mins depending on the size of the loaves. That gets the bread fully risen, but then makes a good chewy crust as the inside cooks through

I have never combined the starter and yeast together and I am not sure how it would work.  I think the key might be give it more time, rather than turbo charge the leavening, but that is just a guess.

snowdrops

« Reply #306 on: December 14, 2023, 20:38 »
Thanks Newshoot, I’ll try that after Christmas. I assumed for adding yeast I’d just add it when setting it off but will give your recipe a try a few times I think before going down that route  ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #307 on: February 26, 2024, 18:49 »
Cheese and chilli sourdough bread.  We had some for tea and it is delicious (if I say so myself  :blush:).

The second loaf has gone into the freezer for another day  :)
IMG_6162.jpeg
IMG_6164.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #308 on: February 26, 2024, 20:59 »
It looks lush, News

xx
Christmas bakes on display

Started by mumofstig on Kitchen Natter

18 Replies
Last post December 29, 2016, 22:50
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 49 queries.