Broken the Covid Rules

• 98 Replies

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Broken the Covid Rules
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2020, 10:28 »
That won’t necessarily take us back to normal, John.

You need about 80% of people to be successfully vaccinated to give herd immunity.  Lots of people including anti vaxxers and a lot of younger people just won’t have it done or be bothered enough about others.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2020, 11:20 »
Selfish, I know, but at least if I myself have been vaccinated, I'll be fairly safe resuming my normal life-style.

James frond

• Often shaken but never stirred.
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2020, 11:29 »
I think we should remember that the important thing is to avoid being infected or infecting. Being on the wrong side of 50 (by a larger margin than I wish) -
I won't consider myself old until i can no longer use my spade, mind you I've got a stainless one now so it should give me a few extra years!.. A vaccination would be nice, but until then I'll talk to my neighbouring plot holders from the otherside of the patch.
They all get it, but it can be easy to forget when one of them comes up to you waggling a courgette.  :wacko:
Why did i put 4 courgette plants in..

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2020, 13:10 »
Selfish, I know, but at least if I myself have been vaccinated, I'll be fairly safe resuming my normal life-style.

Probably. No vaccine is totally effective as we know from flu vaccination, I’ve had a jab for years but still caught flu in 2018.  But whatever it’s efficacy it will be safer than not being vaccinated !

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2020, 13:33 »
They don't always put the right 'strains' of flu in the vaccine, do they? Perhaps you caught it the year they got it totally wrong   :ohmy:
My theory, for what it's worth, for Boris trying to get everyone to have a flu jab this year - is that some of the previous cold/flu strains were coronavirus-types and could help give some immunity (some being better than none  ::))

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2020, 14:27 »
I think your right there, mum. 

I think it’s the ‘can’t be bothereds’ and the ‘not on your nellies’ that will cause the renewed spikes.

I have my name down on a COVID-19 vaccine trial, if I’m needed (demographically).

Mr Dog

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2020, 15:03 »
They don't always put the right 'strains' of flu in the vaccine, do they? Perhaps you caught it the year they got it totally wrong   :ohmy:
My theory, for what it's worth, for Boris trying to get everyone to have a flu jab this year - is that some of the previous cold/flu strains were coronavirus-types and could help give some immunity (some being better than none  ::))

Flu's not caused by a coronavirus mum. Some common colds (and other respiratory diseases) are but it's worth rembering there is, as yet, no vaccine for any of the coronaviruses that infect humans. A flu jab will offer no protection against catching CV-19 at all. The idea of a wider flu vaccination effort is to help free up NHS resources to deal with an expected CV surge during the flu season and try to minimise the number of folk getting a double whammy of flu and CV at the same time.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2020, 15:25 »

Flu's not caused by a coronavirus mum. Some common colds (and other respiratory diseases) are but it's worth rembering there is, as yet, no vaccine for any of the coronaviruses that infect humans. A flu jab will offer no protection against catching CV-19 at all. The idea of a wider flu vaccination effort is to help free up NHS resources to deal with an expected CV surge during the flu season and try to minimise the number of folk getting a double whammy of flu and CV at the same time.
Mmm..... my comment about previous colds/flu type illnesses, giving some immunity still stands, though   :)

Mr Dog

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2020, 16:36 »

Mmm..... my comment about previous colds/flu type illnesses, giving some immunity still stands, though   :)

You do keep some flu immunity for the different strains although they do mutate slowing the body's response - vaccination helps remind the body so it can get to work quicker. Some recently published research on immunity to other coronaviruses suggests that natural immunity starts to drop off around 3 months after the infection and after around 3 years you're likely to be fully susceptible again! I'd imagine that if/when vaccines are available we'll need regular boosters and possibly a couple of different flavours to boot.

James frond

• Often shaken but never stirred.
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2020, 17:00 »
A flu jab this winter could avoid the 'double wammy' as previously mentioned.
It would be asking a lot from a persons body, to have to recover from flu AND CV19 in the same year .
The flu jab is a no brainer this time round.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2020, 17:59 »
You do keep some flu immunity for the different strains although they do mutate slowing the body's response - vaccination helps remind the body so it can get to work quicker. Some recently published research on immunity to other coronaviruses suggests that natural immunity starts to drop off around 3 months after the infection and after around 3 years you're likely to be fully susceptible again! I'd imagine that if/when vaccines are available we'll need regular boosters and possibly a couple of different flavours to boot.

It seems from published papers that it is actually the body's T-cells that 'remember' past Coronavirus 'cold' infections, and respond very quickly to this new Coronavirus, rather than needing actual antibodies to respond, which could explain those people who are getting only mild symptoms.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2020, 19:49 »
It seems from published papers that it is actually the body's T-cells that 'remember' past Coronavirus 'cold' infections, and respond very quickly to this new Coronavirus, rather than needing actual antibodies to respond, which could explain those people who are getting only mild symptoms.
With the amount of tea I drink, I should be immune! :)
Sorry, I'll get me coat...
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2020, 20:30 »

The way that I have heard it explained agrees 100% with what you said.  It is all about staying as healthy as possible so that flu patients and COVID patients are not competing for resources.  Also, at least some of the symptoms overlap, if you are sick with the flu, you might be more inclined to need testing to be certain it is not COVID.  And yes - the double whammy option is possible (AFAIK), and would be very bad.

The beauty of observing social distancing, wearing a mask, hand washing, etc. is that you are less likely to transmit (or conversely become infected by) either virus.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

snowdrops

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2020, 20:44 »

It’s not that the right strains of flu aren’t “put into the the vaccine “ it’s that the “flu” virus mutates at a truly amazing speed. This is what they’re hoping the Covid 19 won’t do as then we’ll never get on top of it. I wouldn’t be surprised if vaccination for it will become mandatory! It is certainly a possibility, not that I will need any persuasion.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2020, 21:56 »
The anti vaxxers would raise hell if it was mandatory.  I don't think it could be enforced.

xx
Allotment hedges - rules

Started by robinahood on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post July 03, 2018, 18:45
by robinahood
xx
Pooh Sticks - they've changed the rules!

Started by DanielCoffey on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post August 18, 2019, 14:38
by mumofstig
xx
new driving rules [highway code]

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

22 Replies
Last post February 12, 2022, 18:16
by jezza
xx
Do you know anyone that has gotten the COVID jab yet?

Started by Subversive_plot on Chatting on the Plot

115 Replies
Last post May 30, 2021, 13:39
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 45 queries.