Panic Buying

• 27 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Panic Buying
« on: September 25, 2020, 19:34 »
Some thoughts on panic buying which seems to be the fashion again - not just the supermarkets but from the seed merchants as well.

Panic Buying
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Panic Buying
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 12:51 »
Difficult to know what to do really.  The seed catalogues for next year aren't out yet but you don't want to get left behind and have no stock next year.  On an individual level, you want to be able to continue growing the stuff you like. 

I wonder whether seed companies still have stock from this year left?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 16:41 »
Some very mixed reports from the seed merchants. Difficult to know where things will be next week, never mind next year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 16:47 »
The seed catalogues for next year aren't out yet but you don't want to get left behind and have no stock next year. 
I got my Kings 2021 brochure yesterday, don't suppose the others will be far behind......

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 17:02 »
The seed catalogues for next year aren't out yet but you don't want to get left behind and have no stock next year. 
I got my Kings 2021 brochure yesterday, don't suppose the others will be far behind ...

Actually, yes now you mention it, so did mine  :D.  But I was also thinking of the allotment association; we have to wait for our commercial supplier to send us their stock list from Mr F's and another company before we can send that out to our members for them to get reduced price seeds on certain seeds.  It was really late this year, so by the time we came to place our order, Mr F's had sold out of some varieties. 

I can at least chase Kings to ask if their 2021 commercial catalogue is out yet.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 17:22 »
what the hell's wrong with some of these people as soon as the mention of a possible lock down its of to the shops or supermarkets to buy everything of the shelves and for those who are working all day in all the services like the NHS or care homes and who rely on an evening shop find the shelves empty

what's the point of panic buying if we all shop using a bit of common sense there's enough i the shops  for all of us we went down our local supermarket today and people where buying toilet rolls like they where going out of fashion

just when we thought things where getting a bit better back it all comes because some irresponsible people can't or just don't want to follow the rules so consequently we all have to suffer and until everyone takes this virus seriously and abides by the rules then its never going to go away and we will see more people or love ones fall by the wayside

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 11:51 »
One almost feels compelled to panic buy because so many others are.    If I don't get them now, will there be any left later, sort of feeling.   Also will I be able to actually go out and buy.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 13:17 »
One almost feels compelled to panic buy because so many others are.    If I don't get them now, will there be any left later, sort of feeling.   Also will I be able to actually go out and buy.   Mrs Bouquet

I can understand that feeling Mrs B, but that’s not the same as attempting to buy all the toilet rolls,pasta,rice & everything on the shelves in every shop, take it home & try to sell it on eBay at inflated prices or throw the consumables in the bin when you realise you don’t know what to do with 36 loaves of bread or how to cook.
I usually keep a well stocked store cupboard (my children say I’m included in their plans for a zombie apocalypse for my cupboards,they’ll still need washing done & I can grow things! Lol). So I often find I have 48 toilet rolls & 2 or 3 of other things or 12 tins of beans etc. But I don’t see that as hoarding, I just buy when things are on special offer or to save me shopping so frequently. With all this actual panic buying it makes me have to only buy 1 or none as I don’t want to add to it. In the lockdown I did feel awful as I had my son & family living with us so we went from a 2 person household to a 6 & boy did I know it when the shopping needed doing, I just couldn’t believe how much stuff we got through.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 13:41 »
Yes, I just went on-line, started putting my usual things in my basket and all the toilet rolls have gone again  :mad:  What is it with some people and toilet rolls  ::)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 14:32 »
Yes, I just went on-line, started putting my usual things in my basket and all the toilet rolls have gone again  :mad:  What is it with some people and toilet rolls  ::)
They'll need them when the food is going off and it's a choice between off sausages or kit-e-kat :)

GraciesGran

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 17:33 »
Eldest son just phoned to say he has joined the panic buyers - he found potting compost at a really good price and bought 10 sacks.

In all seriousness of just annoys me, if you buy what you need everyone will be ok. The one thing there is a serious shortage of is common sense.

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2020, 06:51 »
Just a little aside...

It's the year 2035, and William Growster is using the last toilet roll bought by his great-grandfather in 2020...

(The names have been changed to avoid identity)...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2020, 09:09 »
Just a little aside...

It's the year 2035, and William Growster is using the last toilet roll bought by his great-grandfather in 2020...

(The names have been changed to avoid identity)...
I've just written my will..
To my grandchildren I leave our store of baked beans, the 18 tonnes of pasta and 14 tonnes of flour.

Grumpy gardener

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2020, 21:07 »
My allotment association catalogue came from King's at beginning of September. I always get mine before end of september / beginning of October to guarantee that I can get the varieties that our family likes.
Our order for eight of us went in to Kings over the weekend.
I don't call that panic buying.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2020, 23:52 »
My allotment association catalogue came from King's at beginning of September. I always get mine before end of september / beginning of October to guarantee that I can get the varieties that our family likes.
Our order for eight of us went in to Kings over the weekend.
I don't call that panic buying.
Ordering 10 years supply is what I mentioned not placing a normal order in good time to ensure varietal choice.

xx
Buying in Plants

Started by John on New Across The Site

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2023, 21:49
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 54 queries.