Can a chicken lay two eggs in the 25hrs???

• 3 Replies

cammi

• Experienced Member
Can a chicken lay two eggs in the 25hrs???
« on: January 22, 2011, 10:03 »
I realise it takes 25hrs to make an egg but i was wondering if 'learner' chickens can sometimes do two, maybe one will be yolkless when its opened.

We have 3 chooks that we have had for 2 weeks, the Bluebell is the only one laying at the moment, think the  Araucana is waiting for spring and obviously shouldn't be a brown egg when she does produce our other girl is a Light Sussex x RIR and i dont think she is old enough yet, she hasn't got a comb yet let alone a red one.

But.......Ruby (bluebell) gave me an egg yesterday afternoon and then today just after i let them out i noticed another egg, but in the run!  Ruby has been very good from day one and laid in her box, could it of taken her by surprise as like me she wasn't expecting another one yet,  could it be the very young bird,  could the Araucana somehow be a brown layer??

One confused chicken mummy this morning
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

ehs284

Re: Can a chicken lay two eggs in the 25hrs???
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 10:05 »
Yes

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 10:24 »
As far as my limited knowledge goes.... their 'systems' are all developing at an early age, so you might get two as one might get backed up and then out comes two. They might be soft shell, small and funny shapes also. But they soon settle into a 'normal' egg.
I actually enjoyed the early stages as it was a surprise to what you might get   :D
Alan

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 12:02 »
As Tom Jones will tell you it's not unusual though it doesn't happen everyday no matter what they say.

HF
Truth through science.

xx
Chicken eggs.

Started by Snaphappii on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 23:12
by Snaphappii
xx
Chicken and No eggs???

Started by Tommy54321 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 15, 2023, 08:22
by New shoot
xx
chicken eggs

Started by lilchic34 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2011, 22:49
by Lindeggs
xx
Chicken eating eggs

Started by digby1958 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 21:07
by Bev

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 34 queries.