Can I breed an Open Pollinated "Crimson Crush" tomato?

• 3 Replies

Headgardener22

Like many others, I've been intrigued by the Crimson Crush tomato and am going to try to overwinter some cuttings to grow them next year because they are F1 Hybrids and so "won't breed true".

However, that set me thinking. Why won't they breed true or is it just that they are less likely to breed true than creating an F1 hybrid from defined parent. I then found Big Beef at another website where it was described as "a de-hybridized version of  an American favorite (sic)". So obviously it is possible its just a question of what the chances are of a de-hybridised variant keeping the blight resistance.

So, my plan is to keep some seed from a number of tomatoes and grow some next year outdoors at the allotment where I have always had blight to see if any of them survive.

What are my chances?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Can I breed an Open Pollinated "Crimson Crush" tomato?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 17:15 »
The offspring of F1 varieties inherit some of their parents' characteristics, but not all.

You might get one that is blight resistant, but it also needs to flower well and  taste good.

If you have lots of space and infinite patience, then experiment to your heart's content. You never know what you might get!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: Can I breed an Open Pollinated "Crimson Crush" tomato?
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 20:52 »
I think the thing with CC is the purported blight resistance, and that resistance is a combination of 2 very specific genes - PH2 and PH3. Previous blight resistant varieties have only had one of these so the resistance has supposedly increased in CC. Tom Wagner, who has bred a lot of varieties we grow now, is as I understand it, experimenting with crosses that also have PH2 and PH3, but the varieties he has created are still stabilising.

i'm not sure how much blight mutates. If it does so readily it might mean any dehybridising is a bit pointless. I don't say this to try and put you off experimenting though - it might well be worth a go, particularly if you can grow them alongside your F1 clones as a comparator.

xx
What does "Open Habit" mean?

Started by DHM on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 28, 2018, 09:14
by sunshineband
xx
Crimson Crush tomato

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2018, 10:21
by jaydig
xx
Crimson Crush tomato - what's the verdict?

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 04, 2016, 12:54
by Puenktchen
xx
Crimson Crush tomato family

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 13, 2022, 20:36
by tangojulie

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 40 queries.