layer pellets or mash ?

• 7 Replies

salt and pepper

• 5 Rhode Island red bantams and a golden retreiver
layer pellets or mash ?
« on: July 24, 2011, 09:57 »
Hi everyone, my girls arrive in around a weeks time - YIPEEEEE :D
I was wondering about the pros and cons of food - what do you think and why ? which is best layer pellets or mash  :wacko:

Thank you for answering

bantam novice

Re: layer pellets or mash ?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 16:25 »
Hello there,
Good luck with your new arrivals  :)

I feed mine layers pellets because they (the pellets) are easier to keep contained and the feeders are easier to clean.  My hens seem to eat them OK.

I sprinkle a little mixed corn on the ground for them at teatime so that they have had their fill of pellets first.  The pellets should contain all the nutrition they need.

Keep us posted and don't forget the pics  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

buttony22

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 21:19 »
this was really useful i have 4 girls arriving tomorrow and i was still unsure what was best to feed also i was wondering what i can use from veg i have grown....i have some broad beans that are nearly ending when i dig them up can i feed to the girls or not?

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 22:30 »
I have used both mash and pellets i find mash is wasted more even in treadle feeders and emperor feeders and even in troughs  it tends to go all over.

mabe if you used it in winter to make a hot mash as in just add water. it would work loads better. i know they spend more time eating it and making a mess than they do with pellets.

“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 22:45 »
Feeding the greens to your hens is fine and they will enjoy pecking at them.  Just remember to remove them before they go too far off.  :)

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 22:54 »
My broad beans are coming to their end too so I hurled some plants into the run for them this afternoon. There were a few pods of beans left on that I'd missed - and the clever girls found a way to open them and get at the beans inside by pecking at the end then sticking their beaks in the pods to get the beans. Looked soo funny !... and kept them occupied for hours! :D
They seem to be interested in most veg from the garden - picking at the roots of plants for grubs if nothing else. Only thing I don't give them are potato tops, or onions. All the leafy veg they love - cabbage, kale, salads etc.

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 07:53 »
Mine have pellets in one container and mash in another.  That way they get to choose!  I also give them mixed corn feed sometimes although not available all the time.

Kenilworth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 12:58 »
Both formats will have the same nutrients so its just a case of what suits you.

We have always used Mash just because we were told by an old timer that this is a little bit more difficult for the chicken to peck at thus they take longer to feed and less time to get bored and get into mischief!!!! Not sure how true this is but it did make me laugh :lol:

Is there a difference in cost? as i assume pellets would have a added  manufacturing stage or two compared to mash, i know this tends to be the case with other animal food stuff.

xx
Whats the difference, between layer pellets and layer mash?

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 11, 2012, 11:14
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Grower's pellets to layer's pellets

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 09:36
by Beano
xx
layer pellets

Started by dennis on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 08:34
by Sassy
xx
layer pellets

Started by dugless on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 29, 2009, 16:42
by dugless

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 32 queries.