unwell hens

• 6 Replies

crackapple

unwell hens
« on: July 20, 2011, 21:47 »
hi all, we have just inherited 20 hens , some of these are ex battery hens and some were hatched locally. the problem is a couple of the ex batts have a foul smelling white discharge coming from their vents, does any one know what this is and is it contagious to the others??
can it be treated or do i need to cull?
 the second problem is that quite a few of them have 'fluffy' feathers at the base of their backs just above the tails, i have been told that this might be a mite of some sort, any ideas would be gratefully accepted......

Helenaj

Re: unwell hens
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 07:39 »
It may very well be vent gleet - is it a continuous discharge and does the area around the vent look sore? There's not really a cure for it, but it's worth giving the vent area a wash in warm water with some antibacterial soap (or better still antibiotic solution if you can get it). The fluffy feathers at the back are probably lice or feather mites. Once you've washed around the vents, dry them off with a hairdryer on it's lowest warm setting (they love it!) and have a look. You should be able to see if there are any lice eggs. If so, give them a dusting with lice powder (make sure the area is dry) or give them a squirt of Frontline between their "shoulder blades". That will kill off any living lice/mites and if using powder, repeat after 7 days to get the ones that have hatched since you last treated them. If using Frontline there's no need to do this.

Also worm them as this can also produce a ragged feather look as they are out of condition.

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 17:07 »
If this is vent gleet as suggested I found this after a quick google search.
As you have 20 or so birds you can easily make buckets of yoghurt at home to keep your costs down. Apple cider vinegar and molasses are all available at your local feed merchant and probably epsom salts to. Maybe a trip to a chemist might provide you with some of the other ideas mentioned.

http://ultimatefowl.atwiki.com/page/Vent%20Gleet

To make yoghurt. Easy piesie method.

Make sure everything is very very clean.

Bring a big pan of milk up to the boil (millions of little bubbles will do). Remove from the stove.

Whisk in 5 tablespoons of dried milk (I use Marvel) until well dissolved. This makes a nice thick yoghurt but if you don't use it your yoghurt will be fine, just a little thinner.

Allow to cool to a temperature that you can place a little finger in the milk and hold it there for 10 seconds without  feeling uncomfortable.

Whisk some probiotic (I use a small tub of Yo Valley Organic) yoghurt into the milk.

Place in a warm place, the back of an Aga or on a heated towel rail or on a pet warming pad for 3- 5 hours. I cover mine with an old woolly hat (cling film over the mixture to stop bits of dust falling in it).

Bingo you have  bucket of yoghurt!

Hope this helps.

Orchardlady.

PS I've been making yoghurt for me to eat every day for over two years now like this and haven't poisoned myself yet!

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 09:15 »
Perhaps it may be an idea to isolate the poorly ones :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

crackapple

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 23:27 »
vent gleet is what i thought also (after looking it up) , i have been advised to cull sick ones to keep infection down as i saw one hen pecking at the discharge of another, how contagious is it?

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 16:26 »
If you do a search online, there is no definitive answer. Some say it is contagious, others say it is not. One site I did come across advocated the use of Canestan cream - an over the counter thrush remedy - which is apparently very good at dealing with vent gleet which in itself is a fungal infection. That's probably why probiotic yogurt works (non flavoured).
The hen probably wasn't pecking at the discharge - she was probably going for the sore area as hens are attracted to all things red and sore.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:07 »
Culling seems a bit harsh as a first measure, when with a little treatment they could be fine. Have you got somewhere you can quarantine the poorly birds so they don't get pecked? Something like a small house & run or a broody coop would be fine.

Also, if there is a sore area, spraying it with purple spray would prevent the other birds pecking it.

xx
new unwell hens

Started by Helen70 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 14:40
by bantam novice
clip
Unwell hens

Started by the swiss chook on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 05, 2016, 06:13
by Beekissed
xx
Unwell Hen and Hens Eating Eggs

Started by basildog on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 14:47
by basildog
xx
Unwell hen

Started by Kym503 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 17:49
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 34 queries.