Yellowing Fatsia

• 4 Replies

Elleq

Yellowing Fatsia
« on: June 26, 2020, 19:39 »
I have a mature Fatsia in my garden but while it grows away, its leaves have never looked great. I’m not sure what’s wrong. I did an iron feed at the start of the season, (do it every year) but it never seems to make much difference.

Any suggestions? I’m happy to treat and improve the soil I just don’t know what to add!

Thank you
4398E521-F416-4FD4-939F-2ACA75427248.jpeg
7A5F6750-A1DA-44B2-880C-0C3F070241F7.jpeg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Yellowing Fatsia
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2020, 09:43 »
If you want to green it up, you could feed it with pelleted chicken manure.  That usually gives leaves a boost.  I have a fatsia in my garden and it is one of the chicken's favourite shrubs to hang out under, so mine gets direct applications on a regular basis.  It looks good on it though  ;)

Another really quick pick me up is liquid seaweed feed, diluted and sprayed onto foliage.  That works wonders as well.

Longer term, you could mulch the soil with composted manure or soil conditioner.  Both are sold in bags at garden centres.  I would hold off over the summer as thick mulches can seal dry soil in and stop the rain getting through.  It is a good job for the autumn though.  Just make sure the mulch is not piled up against the stems of the plant,

Elleq

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2020, 10:37 »
I’ll try those suggestions. Thank you. Garden centres a bit scanty on supplies at the moment but I’ll surely pick them up at some point.

Mintyboy

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 12:13 »
It's not getting too much direct sunlight?
Fatsias grow  better in shade or partial shade with a lot of moisture at their roots. Too much sun can cause them to yellow.  I agree with New shoot mulch, but drench the soil first .

Elleq

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 20:55 »
Well, it is in sunlight most of the day; but I don’t think that is causing the leaf issue as affected leaves can be under the canopy as well as on top.

Am going to try the sea weed spray first and I’ll do a manure mulch in the autumn. I might thin it out as well, it is a bit crowded.

xx
Yellowing Fatsia

Started by muckyboots on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 13:16
by Paul Plots
xx
The Fatsia has a New Home

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post March 21, 2021, 16:04
by mrs bouquet
xx
Fatsia Japonica

Started by mobilekat on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 17:13
by mobilekat
xx
Pruning a Fatsia Japonica HELP !!

Started by vegmandan on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 12:50
by New shoot

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 44 queries.