pathways - paving slabs

• 11 Replies

NellyCB

pathways - paving slabs
« on: February 22, 2011, 13:35 »
I have a main path running through the centre of my allotment.  At the moment it is just bare earth which has been trampled down over the past few weeks.   

I now have some paving flags free from a colleague and wish to lay them to give myself a better path - does this need to be properly, as I'm not laying a shed on top or anything, just using them as a pathway....ie do I need sand etc underneath?

I'm not fussed about it not being perfectly laid (like I would if it were my back garden) but I also don't want to tripping over it.  The bare land is more or less flat now.

Runwell-Steve

• Experienced Member
Re: pathways - paving slabs
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 13:40 »
I don't think you need to go too mad, but I would be inclined to lay them on some sand.  If you lay them direct on the soil they will always wobble, you'll never get them quite level and they will probably crack.  About an inch of sand underneath, or a bit less should enable you to get them nice and level.

NellyCB

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 13:43 »
I don't think you need to go too mad, but I would be inclined to lay them on some sand.  If you lay them direct on the soil they will always wobble, you'll never get them quite level and they will probably crack.  About an inch of sand underneath, or a bit less should enable you to get them nice and level.

Thanks - didn't want to spend a fortune or a lifetime doing it.  Will get myself some sharp sand.

RichardA

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 13:53 »
depends on your soil - if reasonably able to rake level and remove stones then I woudl just lay slabs directly on soil. Occasionally I move my slabs and yes sometimes they need levelling up but I have never had one crack nor have I paid out for sand
R

Totty

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 18:06 »
I have laid a stepping stone path at home leading to my greenhouse, and around my chicken run at the allotment.
 Place your slabs in the desired position, roughly place them so that each step you make, lands your foot in the centre of the next slab. This should leave you with a nice stepping stone pattern and enable you to bend the path if needed. Then take a straight spade ande cut around each slab to the depth of the slab. Remove the slab then cut the soil/turf away. The slab will then fit neatly into the hole you have just cut and over the coming months the grass roots etc will grow around the slabs meaning they become fairly solid.
 This is alot easier to do in practice than it probably sounds and trust me it looks alot more natural than trying to lay perfectly on sand etc. Will take no time at all.

Totty

NellyCB

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 18:31 »
I have laid a stepping stone path at home leading to my greenhouse, and around my chicken run at the allotment.
 Place your slabs in the desired position, roughly place them so that each step you make, lands your foot in the centre of the next slab. This should leave you with a nice stepping stone pattern and enable you to bend the path if needed. Then take a straight spade ande cut around each slab to the depth of the slab. Remove the slab then cut the soil/turf away. The slab will then fit neatly into the hole you have just cut and over the coming months the grass roots etc will grow around the slabs meaning they become fairly solid.
 This is alot easier to do in practice than it probably sounds and trust me it looks alot more natural than trying to lay perfectly on sand etc. Will take no time at all.

Totty

That sounds like a plan Totty!

CDave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 19:33 »
Theres a good thread here on same subject.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=71023.0

SkipRat

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 23:39 »
For an allotment path I wouldnt be too fussed if it level or striaght, my main objective would be "does it keep my boots from getting claggy in wet weather". if your now path is reasonably straight and level, just put your flags down, if not throw a bit of soil on top of your path, level it out as much as possible, then put your flags down. If they move around a bit in the future, just tweak em back where you want em.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

grendel

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 08:12 »
when laying slabs directly on soil I made a tool. its a long straight stick, at one end is a 6" section screwed on that is the same thickness of the slab, once one slab is laid i use the tool to scrape the ground to the level for the next slab. then with just a handful of sand, I can get a perfectly level and true slab. Quick - easy and effective.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

SkipRat

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 00:41 »
when laying slabs directly on soil I made a tool. its a long straight stick, at one end is a 6" section screwed on that is the same thickness of the slab, once one slab is laid i use the tool to scrape the ground to the level for the next slab. then with just a handful of sand, I can get a perfectly level and true slab. Quick - easy and effective.
Grendel

That tool you describe sounds very interesting, would it be possible to put up a photo or two, and maybe some construction notes please,  ::) ::)

grendel

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 08:24 »
er well not a lot in the way of construction notes, just 2 bits of wood screwed together. this has two bits screwed on, one for the thick 2" slabs and another for the smaller slabs.
Grendel
IMG_0616small.jpg

grendel

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 08:27 »
in use you just lay it on the adjacent slab and scrape / fill the earth to make it level. I have still to relay the smaller slabbed path next to the patio I laid last summer.
Grendel
IMG_0617small.jpg

xx
Help!!! How to build a Greenhouse base using Paving Slabs?

Started by MichelleC on Design and Construction

1 Replies
Last post January 16, 2011, 10:14
by arugula
xx
Home-made paving slabs-advice please.............

Started by chickenboy on Design and Construction

18 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 21:39
by Greengiant152
xx
Shed base/ slabs on soil

Started by Jd1980 on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post October 22, 2018, 12:40
by sunshineband
xx
Paving

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Design and Construction

22 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 14:49
by Casey76

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 36 queries.