"Feral" kittens

• 25 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

"Feral" kittens
« on: January 02, 2013, 14:15 »
Sorry if I have already posted this. Thought I had but now can't find it.

Well last year my sister had her cat spayed and chose to have it done by tubal ligation (like humans) rather than the usual of having the ovaries and uterus removed. Unfortunately the vet turned out not to be too good at this and in the summer 3 little kittens arrived.

My sister just didn't have the space to keep them and asked if we would be willing to take them as we were moving to the countryside and would be able to have them as feral, barn cats to keep the rodent population down. We already have 2 cats so no room for more in the house but thought that would be fine, especially as the duck food can attract vermin.

So here are our 3 feral kittens.

Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: "Feral" kittens
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 14:18 »
Yeah, right!  :D
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 14:22 »
Hmmmm

Feral, you said?  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 14:31 »
The boy at least is living up to his side of the bargin and catching rodents for us. Unfortunately they mainly seem to be shrews and voles that aren't really a pest but at least he has the right idea. The 2 girls do terrorise the local population of dead leaves!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 14:46 by Kate and her Ducks »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 14:36 »
The boy at least is living up to his side of the margin and catching rodents for us. Unfortunately they mainly seem to be shrews and voles that aren't really a pest but at least he has the right idea. The 2 girls do terrorise the local population of dead leaves!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 14:41 »
apparently it is all the fault of the ancient Egyptians - they treated cats as gods and the cats never forgot it- if/when the cats want to be feral they will let you know but until then keep up the good work .............
R

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 15:13 »
I am really missing Bagpuss who passed away last year.  I have been really good despite looking on the RSPCA website constantly as I really don't want to replace her.  Your kittens have brought a tear to my eyes, they look as if they are in heaven.  It must be lovely for them to have company and plenty of space to roam.  Thanks for sharing the photo.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

maxyboo

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 16:32 »
They are grorgeous! We have lots of feral kittens brought into our sanctuary but it is always better if they can be tamed. A much nicer life for them in my opinion. They certainly fell on their feet with you. ;)
ANHBUC, I know what you mean, we lost our lovely Max last February as I still miss her terribly and get tearful if I think of her but I did get a kitten a few months later. She will never replace Max  and is completely different in character and looks. It does make the loss easier to bear in a way though as you have to get on with it. James Herriot always said the best way of dealing with the loss of a pet was to get another one. I don't think I could have done it straightaway though.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 16:44 »
They are grorgeous! We have lots of feral kittens brought into our sanctuary but it is always better if they can be tamed. A much nicer life for them in my opinion. They certainly fell on their feet with you. ;)
ANHBUC, I know what you mean, we lost our lovely Max last February as I still miss her terribly and get tearful if I think of her but I did get a kitten a few months later. She will never replace Max  and is completely different in character and looks. It does make the loss easier to bear in a way though as you have to get on with it. James Herriot always said the best way of dealing with the loss of a pet was to get another one. I don't think I could have done it straightaway though.

I still expect her to be downstairs on a morning or when I get home the hall seems empty.  I am trying to see if the lack of an indoor pet helps with hubbys asthma.  Another reason is that the one thing I don't miss is the amount of fur she left behind. 

You can put your new kittens picture up and I will share in the joy of your new pet and friend.   ;)

maxyboo

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2013, 16:56 »
I know what you mean about the fur. I have clothes for lounging about the house in as I get covered in fur and muddy footprints! I spent a small fortune on a Dyson which is the only vacuum cleaner I've had that can keep on top of the furry carpets I have at the end of each day.  Bloomin' cats! ;)

Oliveview

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 05:18 »
Our Mili came out from the garden across the road with a baby rat, unfortunately it was not dead, she let it go and it ran off :( 

Pamela

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 15:19 »
 :D Definitely vicious and dangerous. Someone has to keep the leaves under control   :D :D

allotmentann

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 17:11 »
What beautiful kittens. They look so happy. I really feel for those of you who have lost your lovely cats. I know people think that they are not companions in the way that dogs are, but they really are. Do show us more photos of those 'feral' kittens when you get chance. :)

photoboy

• Evolve Photography
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 17:16 »
Awww they look very at ease with the rodent threat ;) we cat folks are softies!

Thrift

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 20:11 »
What a very comfortable barn they live in!  :lol:

Tree lovely, lucky kitties!

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 39 queries.