peach tree

• 13 Replies

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
peach tree
« on: August 23, 2009, 17:39 »
Hi all,
Inherited a peach tree on new plot this year but it's overgrown (will prune in a few weeks).
It only had a few fruits on it but they had all been invaded by hungry wasps.
As I'm pruning it I expect a bumper crop next year (I wish), but what can I do to deter the wasps, any ideas?, coz I loves peaches and feel aggrieved when the pesky insects get in there first, how rude r they, I pay the ground rent afterall so why shouldn't I get first pickings lol

Regards
I'm banned for being obnoxious (not pompous as you might have thought)

tode

Re: peach tree
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:48 »
Probably the only thing to do is find if there are wasp nests nearby and have them destroyed. Should reduce their numbers, at least.

catllar

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 12:34 »
Net the tree with that white crop protection fabric stuff  or an old net curtain, depending on size.

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 16:56 »
I wouldn't leave it too long before you prune it. Peach trees need to be pruned when they are growing, not at the end of the season or winter, or they can get all sorts of destructive diseases. Fleece or polythene sleeves on the branches might help your wasp problem a bit.

madcat

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 18:19 »
Bear in mind if you don't get wasps you get earwigs. 

We have a nectarine and a peach - the wasps are more of a problem with the apples but the earwigs get into the top/stalk end of the peaches and nectarines and from there into the stones.

Dont forget to spray for peach leaf curl too.

You grow peaches in this country to show you can.  The fruit is a bonus.  (Peach liqueur makes a few peaches go a long way!  :D )
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 19:23 »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
I think there may be a wasps nest around somewhere coz there are loads of the little *, will have to try finding it coz it's not practicle to cover the tree.
Glad you told me about the pruning Greengirl, I thought all trees and shrubs were pruned in autumn (live n learn eh).
I presume you mean a copper spray for the leaf curl Madcat, which one do you use?
The peach liquer sounds interesting though, coz the few fruits I did get were very juicy and sweet, and I have been known to have the odd bottle of archers at Christmas, any recipes for peach plonk anyone?

madcat

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 14:08 »
Peach Liqueur
1lb peaches, washed and halved
1lb sugar
70cl white wine (dry)
1/2pt gin - suermarket own brand is fine

Crack the stones and remove the kernels. Blanch for a minute.
Place the peaches, sugar and wine in a saucepan.  Heat gentlely to dissolve the sugar and then to the boil. Remove from the heat and cool a bit.  Add the gin and kernels.  Pour into a large bowl, jug, sweetie jar whatever you have, cover and leave for @ least a week.  More if you can - I have sometimes left for 6 months.  Strain (dont waste the fruit) and bottle.

Peach Brandy
1lb peaches, washed and halved
8oz sugar
1pt brandy

Crack the stones and remove the kernels. Blanch for a minute and crush.
Place with the peaches, sugar and brandy in a large bowl, jug, sweetie jar whatever you have, stir or shake to disolve the suggar,cover and leave for @ least a month.  More if you can - I have sometimes left for 6 months.  Strain (eat the fruit with icecream or cream for pudding - yum!)and bottle.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 14:12 by madcat »

madcat

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 14:11 »
oh - and Bordeaux mixture, but I guess we will have to change to Dithane soon due to Bordeaux mix being discontinued.

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 15:32 »
Thanks for That Madcat.
The peach liquer sound very tempting, in fact I'm going to get a punnet from supermarket to try it out. I'm so impatient and cant wait till my own are ready next year.
Look forward to a glass or two in front of the log fire in a few months.

Regards

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 15:46 »
Hang some jars or bottles half full with sugar water on the tree and then sit back and watch them fill up with wasps
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 20:13 »
I'll try that Odd paws, thanks.
I presume they drown in the sugar syrup coz I dont fancy collecting the jars if the wasps are still active, I really hate wasps, they send me into a bit of a panick.
Pretty lame for a geezer I know but everyone has there fears and wasps is mine

Regards

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 14:04 »
Ooooh believe me  no one hates wasps more than me. My little girl laughs and tells everyone  I do a wasp dance when they are around. I guess thats because I cant take my own advice and stand still, instaed I run about flapping my arms wildly.  :tongue2: :ohmy:

Eventually the little blighters do drown themselves then you can safely remove the jar or bottle and dispose of it...still makes me shudder tho :wub:

mr Isaccs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 21:12 »
Hung 2 jamjars half full of sugar syrup on the apple tree this afternoon (they don't want the peach tree anymore coz theres no fruit left)
it was rather windy, don't know if the little * would have been able to get into the swinging death traps, but I shall wait with baited breath.

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 11:23 »
Hope it works for you as well as it did for me! :D

xx
Peach tree

Started by Brambles on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 07:56
by gobs
xx
Peach tree

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2018, 14:24
by jambop
xx
peach tree

Started by jevennett on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 14, 2010, 00:05
by Trillium
xx
Peach tree help

Started by dno71 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 17:29
by Trillium

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 38 queries.