Hessian/jute ground cover

• 6 Replies

Tkpk

Hessian/jute ground cover
« on: February 08, 2020, 14:02 »
I was thinking recently of setting up some raised beds. I have taken the no dig approach before, and I still actually really struggled with very hardy weeds.

So I was thinking, if hessian /jute does eventually rot down (apparently 2-3 years. Would that be a better long term base for a raised bed. I don’t want to put the black weed fabric down as it doesn’t break down.

Has anyone tried this? I figure with the hessian then card then the usual no dig approach it might work slightly better?

Ema

Re: Hessian/jute ground cover
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 13:15 »
I have used cardboard, bike boxes worked best as there slightly thicker.

I’m going to be using hessian as a soil stabiliser on a bank I’m just about to plant up with a hedge, as I don’t want to loose any height from erosion. I hate plastic membranes particularly the woven kind where you find bits of it all over the garden.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 13:40 »
Can I just check, what is your thinking behind wanting a base in your raised bed?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Tkpk

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 16:15 »
I have got quite serious perennial weeds! Couch grass. Dock, and creeping buttercup. I am losing trying to dig them out. So I was thinking if they can’t see light for 2-3 years I might win?
Last time I used card only, they just found their way through

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 22:26 »
If you have grass around the raised beds it will eventually find its way through. Also hessian sack are full of holes which couch will find its way through.

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 00:16 »
I reckon it will grow through, and you’ll never get it out once they grow through it!  Something like old woollen blankets might work. They’d be more closely woven and not let weeds through and would break down eventually. I wish I could they were easy to find, but sadly they are not. Sheep fleece (which is worthless and generally easily available) might work though.  It would be harder to handle, and you will find bits of it around the place. I’ve used it as a mulch quite successfully in smaller quantities (I’m sure I’ve seen a commercially available wool mat designed for this. I recall the words ‘not cheap’ being used in conjunction, though.

I have a love-relationship with landscape fabric. It is so beautifully weed-suppressing and saves me SO much work. But it’s plastic. If you are really struggling with weeds, I’d be tempted to go with cardboard (two layers, perhaps) and then as much compost as you can manage and then plant through the landscape fabric on top of that. If you make planting holes in it with a blow torch and use it to heat the cut edges you don’t get bits everywhere, as it seals them and stops it fraying. Don’t mulch on top, and you can take it off at the end of the season, and hopefully not need it next year. I’m aiming to get to a point where I don’t need to buy more of it, but planning to use what I have until it falls apart.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2020, 19:26 »
I used decent quality plastic weed membrane to cover couch grass.  For a year or so it grew out from the edges of the fabric, but was easy enough to control. 

I would avoid hessian, jute, wool, blanket, carpet etc.  The grass will simply grow through it.

xx
ground cover advice

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 09:16
by Kristen
xx
Any thoughts on Ground Cover??

Started by Christo on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 22:17
by Christo
xx
Where to buy Sheeting for Ground Cover

Started by chrisb1357 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 08:37
by Kristen
xx
growing veg in ground cover sheeting

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 28, 2020, 08:02
by Ema

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 47 queries.