Hen being bullied..HELP.

• 6 Replies

georget

Hen being bullied..HELP.
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:06 »
About 3 weeks ago i put 2 young under a year old in with 3 older hens and a cockerell.The smallest of the 2 now has no feathers on its head and one hen is chasing it every time it goes to the feed trough,to the point where it looks thin.Ive sprayed anti pecking spray on it but that doesnt stop it from being chased.Am I right in thinking the only thing to do is get rid of the bully.

Casey76

Re: Hen being bullied..HELP.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 13:27 »
You don't need to get rid - just yet.  Can you separate the bully into a smaller run/separate coop?  If you don't have a separate coop you could put her in a cat box in the coop over night, but keep her separated from the others during the day.

It might take some time, as you need the pecking order for the flock to rearrange and stabilise before you reintroduce the bully. Once she has been knocked out of her place  in the pecking order, hopefully things should settle down.

Occasionally they don't and sometimes you do need to look into rehoming the bully.

Just to stress you need to separate the bully out, and not the bullied :)

georget

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 14:29 »
Yes I realise its the bully that needs to be dealt with even if i move the victim out i think the bully will just pick on the next one in line thats why ithink i should get rid.People have said once a bully always a bully but i   have not had enough experience with hens so i dont know how best to deal with it. :unsure:

hen addict

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 15:03 »
As cassy says the best way is to throw the pecking order out of balance. How is your cockerel reacting to the new birds? Because once he takes a liking to the new birds he should step in to sort out any squabbles with the hens and calm things down. remember at this time of year the hormones are running high as the urge to reproduce gets stronger, a young bird is seen as a threat to the older birds status in the flock. I'm in a similar situation I have 3 pullets that have got to be introduced but mine are in a seperate pen because I know mine will eat them alive if they get the chance, and at the moment I am without a cockerel and can't see me getting one any time soon due to new neighbours!! If all else fails I'm going to take 4 of the worst offenders out and put the 3 New ones in but not untill the young birds mature enough to be able to defend themselves.
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:46 »
Do what Casey says and it is always good to add extra water and feeding stations. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

georget

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 11:37 »
Hi Hen Addict,the cockerell came with the 3 hens where they lived completely frre range on a farm,if there is a real squabble he does stop it.The problem is the bully just keeps having pecks that he doesnt notice.Ive just put 2 more perches in the coop one really high in the hope that they will all move up a bit and leave the small one alone because i think most of the bullying is happening in the coop when they are roosting.I also have 3 bigger but younger hens with a light sussex cockerell in another run with a bigger coop,I have thought about trying the bully in there.Any thoughts on that anyone. :unsure:

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 12:58 »
Adding one hen is usually more difficult than 2 plus. However, the cockerel may make a better job of keeping the peace. The bully would go straight to the bottom of the pecking order. Do put extra watering and feeding stations in and monitor closely. :)

xx
bullied hen

Started by jason g on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 09:51
by viettaclark
xx
Bullied hen ?

Started by mollymuggles on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post November 03, 2013, 15:19
by ANHBUC
xx
One hen being bullied

Started by AbbyB on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 29, 2024, 20:09
by jaydig
xx
so im being bullied already

Started by greenmiranda on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 20:28
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 39 queries.