Tomato Ketchup

• 17 Replies

juliec

• Experienced Member
Tomato Ketchup
« on: January 05, 2011, 11:11 »
Went to my sons last night and his 5 year old was running round like a mad thing. (he has an aversion to sugar and is not allowed sweets, chocolate etc except in small amounts as an occasional treat)

When I asked what he had eaten I was told his mum had allowed him a small amount of tomato ketchup with his tea.

It is obviously full of sugar, so my question today is does any one have a recipe for tomato ketchup without sugar and all those dam additives which send our kids loopy?  And if so how long does it keep?

Ive just bought Val's preserves, jams etc book in the home she has one.

But the more the merrier.

many thanks again

Jools

1st time veg grower

• Experienced Member
Re: Tomato Ketchup
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 12:36 »
Jamie Oliver does one, but it does contain sugar - ingredients here:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegeterian-recipes/homemade-tomato-ketchup

It says in my book to put all the veg in a pan with splash of Olive oil, the ginger, garlic, chilli, basil stalks, and corriander. Cook on low heat for 15 mins until softened. Add all tomatoes and 350ml of cold water, boil, then simmer gently until sauce reduces by half. Add basil leaves then whizz in food processor. Push through a sieve twice. Put it back in a clean pan and add vinegar and sugar. Place sauce on heat and reduce until it thickens to the consistency of normal ketchup. Add seasoning.Pour into sterilised bottles.

The book says store in a cool dark place or a fridge and it should keep for up to 6 months. I was planning on making some last year but never got around to it, so I don't know how it tastes.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 13:45 »
Hugh Fearnle-Whttingsall does one too on River Cottage, but I don't know how much sugar.  You can always put less sugar in though.  I haven't tried the recipe.  Funnily enough, I found the copy I made the other day.  I keep forgetting about it!

Mmmm can't seem to find it at the moment!

Found this one too, but is it a bit spicy?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/homemadetomatoketchu_81722

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 14:40 »
Could you not just make a very thick passata add a little vinegar/lemon salt and pepper to taste. Passata on its own is sweet enough without extra sugar.

Just boil the bottles up in a deep pan as you would for ordinary passata and it will keep for ages :)...............but not for long once open :(

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 14:47 »
My DIL is going to keep the babys little food jars for me to make the sauce, should be small enough  to keep well once opened. they are only 375 grams.

Jools

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 15:27 »
Would sweetners have the same effect on him?
Sorry if thats a stupid idea, just wondering if you could substiture the sugar for granulated sweetner.

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 15:42 »
mmm not sure about sweeteners, we always give him pure fruit juices etc with no sugar, hes okay with honey and diabetic jams, so maybe I should see whats in diabetic jam.

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 18:09 »
mmm not sure about sweeteners, we always give him pure fruit juices etc with no sugar, hes okay with honey and diabetic jams, so maybe I should see whats in diabetic jam.

I'm a Diabetes Nurse so can answer that one for you. Diabetic Jam has sweetners in it, sugar substitutes. Pure fruit juice has it's own natural sugars in it.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 20:38 »
I can recommend John and Val's books, they have loads of different ketchup recipes in.

Either this one or this one.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 21:55 »

I'm a Diabetes Nurse so can answer that one for you. Diabetic Jam has sweetners in it, sugar substitutes. Pure fruit juice has it's own natural sugars in it.

Hi Milly,
 its a pleasure to have your help with this one.  my problem with sweeteners is all of the "hype" that they received several years ago about being carcinogenics. Now if I am reluctant to give my grandson sugar cos he runs round and wears us out! i'm even more reluctant to give him any thing which could actually harm him.

Your thoughts on this are appreciated.

maybe I dont know enought about the sweeteners in diabetic produce or maybe there are a few rougue sweeteners which caused the carcinogenic uproar, maybe it was started by a sugar manufacturer.  I dont know but if any ones does I'm very interested.

Many thanks as always Jools

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 22:19 »
Here's a couple of links to help you decide, both are organisations that base their advice on evidence.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Food_and_recipes/Sugar-and-sweeteners/
The part re- 'Are sweetners safe?' is at the bottom of the page.

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthyliving/dietandhealthyeating/foodcontroversies/

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 11:22 »
Here's a couple of links to help you decide, both are organisations that base their advice on evidence.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Food_and_recipes/Sugar-and-sweeteners/
The part re- 'Are sweetners safe?' is at the bottom of the page.

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthyliving/dietandhealthyeating/foodcontroversies/

Very helpful, Thanks Milly.

jools

savbo

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2011, 14:17 »
sweeteners won't have the preservative effect of sugar, will they?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2011, 18:53 »
"When I were a lad"  sweets were a cabbage rib, a carrot or a raw sprout, the kids today.  .  .  .  .  . :DCheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2011, 19:41 »
Would the fruit sugar you can get in a supermarket be an alternative?
Cheese makes everything better.

xx
Ketchup

Started by Steveharford on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post September 24, 2014, 21:02
by Mrs Bee
xx
Goosebery Ketchup

Started by redmerlin on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 17:53
by Val H
xx
Tomato Chutney

Started by cheshirecheese on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 13:20
by chrissie B
xx
Tomato blight

Started by Coldfeet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2014, 18:22
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 37 queries.