Badgers!

• 7 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Badgers!
« on: January 29, 2015, 14:34 »
No I am not looking to grow them  :tongue2: I have moved to a lovely new place 6 months ago so keen to get the veg plot going. BUT I have been told the previous occupant tried to grow carrotts but the badgers came in and ate them! So my question is what can I grow with this in mind? Or will they try and eat everything?

Thanks in advance.

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Badgers!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 15:56 »
We have loads of badgers round us but the only thing we had a problem with was sweetcorn. They ate the lot (about 60 plants) in 2 nights! Apparently it is their favourite thing. :D They waited until it was about 5 days away from ripe! No problems with anything else although we haven't grown many carrots.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 16:06 »
Oh no sweetcorn was going to be a huge crop this year as we love it :-( well I can try I suppose and pray they go for the carrots that I may now plant far too many of in hope that it distracts them from my sweetcorn :-)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 16:45 »
I had badgers visiting my garden for the first time last year - they 'only' dug holes and pooed in them (every day :ohmy:) and ignored the sweetcorn even though it was growing and ripening right next to where they had been digging.

It's possible that their little badger-brains require their feeding and toilet areas to be completely separate, although it's more likely that, like the grey squirrels round here, they have to learn rather than instinctively know how tasty they are.

Let's hope that mine, and yours, stay blissfully ignorant for a nice long time!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Flowertot

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 23:54 »
I was planning to grow sweetcorn this year (even bought the seeds  :() until some experienced fellow plot holders a few plots along told me the only thing they have given up growing over the years is sweetcorn because the badgers always have all of it.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 07:11 »
Badgers are destructive when close to sweetcorn, but a good strong wire fence that they cannot bash down does work, so you'd be OK!

As for them eating carrots, I've never heard of that one, as they'd make it easier for them selves just going for other stuff - if they liked them, and as Jay says, they have different habits!

The blighters took all our crop out two years ago, so we grow the sweetcorn at home now, behind a 13" brick wall.... that buqqers the badgers..;0) They don't seem to like peas and beans for some reason!

madcat

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 08:21 »
I was planning to grow sweetcorn this year (even bought the seeds  :() until some experienced fellow plot holders a few plots along told me the only thing they have given up growing over the years is sweetcorn because the badgers always have all of it.

Folk told us that, and the badgers have never bothered us.  They have their routes and we are lucky not to be on the feeding path I think.  It is worth trying.  Ours are grown in an enclosure of fleece, to confuse the rabbits who eat what they can see, and I dont know if that helps with the badgers.  The sweetcorn like the protection when young too.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 17:42 »
We have been lucky on our plot with badgers, with not to much damage, my friend who grows at home has had big problems with badgers and it was the sweetcorn !!!!. He put up a badger electric fence a couple of years ago and has had no problems since. If you are growing on your own property it might be worth looking into as a long term solution.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

xx
badgers

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 07:47
by bailey
exclamation
badgers & sweetcorn

Started by mjg000 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 19, 2013, 13:51
by Ema
xx
Are badgers a problem for veg?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 14:41
by veg lover
xx
Badgers ate my sweetcorn

Started by fekq on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 28, 2008, 08:39
by beestie-crawlies

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 40 queries.