Do you......

• 10 Replies

vegging out

Do you......
« on: March 26, 2007, 23:11 »
.....earth up your spuds in one hit when you plant,or gradually as they grow..also,are there any pro's and con's of either method? :)

muntjac

Do you......
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 23:15 »
i dig a trench fil with muck plant spud and earth up . i do it because why waste time coming back and doing it later . werks for the farmers werks for me  :wink:
still alive /............

WG.

Do you......
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 23:16 »
If your patch is very weedy then doing it in 2 hits gives the weeds more of a setback.   The ridge helps to warm and to drain the soil so farmers do it all in one it at planting time.  Some folks grow them on the flat.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Do you......
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:20 »
I tend to do it 2 or 3 times. For some reason I don't find it a chore and I'm smug in the knowlege that I'm chopping up weeds and breaking down the texture of the soil.

That's the way my Grandfather did it & that's the way I learned.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Do you......
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 15:07 »
Trying Ziggy's method this year. Plant em, earth up and when the ground goes green with fresh weeds germinating knock the earthing up back down and then re-earth, sounds messy but I like the logic. oooppps, just like digger. Must read the threads before opening trap.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Heifer73

• Experienced Member
Do you......
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 15:08 »
Hi

I earth up as the start growing.
Bye

Heifer

Carpe Diem

The way I see it, if you want the rainbow you have got to put up with the rain!

Dan

• Experienced Member
Do you......
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 15:59 »
Quote from: "Aidy"
Trying Ziggy's method this year. Plant em, earth up and when the ground goes green with fresh weeds germinating knock the earthing up back down and then re-earth, sounds messy but I like the logic. oooppps, just like digger. Must read the threads before opening trap.

Isnt there a danger of damaging or also knocking off any plant growth when you knock the earth pile down?

DD.

• Global Moderator
Do you......
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 16:14 »
Quote from: "Dan"

Isnt there a danger of damaging or also knocking off any plant growth when you knock the earth pile down?

I'd have thought so, but maybe not, otherwise Ziggy wouldn't do it, surely. I do mine in stages, but don't knock down what's already there.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Do you......
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 16:31 »
My tats normally take about 21 ish days to appear, with the weather the way it is weeds will germinate way bafore the shaws show, being a little carefull should do the job but as this is the first time I will let u know the outcome.  :?

WG.

Do you......
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 16:34 »
My tats normally take about 21 ish days to appear, with the weather the way it is weeds will germinate way bafore the shaws show
So hoe the whole lot a week before you expect them to surface.  :wink:

DD.

• Global Moderator
Do you......
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 16:51 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
My tats normally take about 21 ish days to appear, with the weather the way it is weeds will germinate way bafore the shaws show
So hoe the whole lot a week before you expect them to surface.  :wink:

With my luck the b*ggers would be a week early.

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 39 queries.