when should I sow sweetcorn?

• 46 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: when should I sow sweetcorn?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 09:27 »
Hmmm ... my Swift, last year, were 3 weeks from Chit to Plant out, and then 2 months to first cropping - so the ones I planted out at the very end of May were ready for first harvest at end of July, and were all done by the end of August (and I mean tail-end-charlie).

I should expect to be able to carry on ripening until end September, don't you think?

Hence I was planning to sow for crops from end July to end September

Mine were also done by the end of August but that was because the plants finally got fed up with the persistent dull cool conditions in July and August; they looked to be all set for 3 cobs per plant but in the end only managed an average of 1 1/2. 

Location obviously plays a part but so does a punt on what sort of summer we have; if you've got the space then give it a try (home-grown sweetcorn is soooo wonderful!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Salmo

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 09:34 »
If you plant directly into the soil mice are a problem.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 09:54 »
I wonder if the first cob on a later-planted-plant will mature better than the 2nd/3rd on an earlier one.

I'll let you know in the Autumn!

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 10:57 »

Hence I was planning to sow for crops from end July to end September

If it's not too late ... I'm trying an old, reintroduced variety called Stowells Evergreen which I got from the Organic Gardening catalogue.  It apparently stays well on the plant so I'm hoping that will give me a longer picking time.  I'll let you know what happens....
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

prakash_mib

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 11:09 »
My immediate neighbour at plot has already planted out sweetcorns  :ohmy:. they are under the fleece.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

diggerjoe

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 12:59 »
Only just started chitting mine 4 different varieties each will be planted in a block at a corner of plot. Then I have found two more packets I bought some time ago so planning to sow those at the end of this week - can't have too many sweetcorn only just used the last out of the freezer. Anyone else trying white ones this year?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 16:55 »
... 4 different varieties ...

There are different schools of thought, but one is that (for modern Supersweet varieties) cross pollination will effect the sweetness (as a separate issue from the cross pollination meaning they won't come true next year, apparently the mix of genes in the seeds - the bit that you will be eating :) - will effect the flavour)

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 17:54 »
Re:cross pollination of varieties.
I had planned on growing mini sweetcorn as well as Swift, would the problem happen with these two as the minis are meant to be picked very early and I don't want loads of big ones or loads of minis?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 18:08 »
Mini Pop eaten immature? I take the male tassels off them (as the cobs don't need to be pollinated) and thus they can't cross fertilise anything else!

Otherwise I think it might be a problem

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 18:12 »
Oh thanks Kristen that'll do for me I'll just google for a few picks of the male tassel???
Think I might go and sow some minis then.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 18:42 »
The male flowers will need to be removed somewhere between these two stages :)
IMG_4776_SweetcornMaleTassel.jpg
IMG_4904_GreenhouseSweetcorn.jpg

mrspodington

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2010, 20:20 »
Oh dear reading this has got me a bit confused.

We bought our sweetcorn plants from the garden centre 16 in total in one pot so I transplanted them all into seperate bigger pots yesterday, they dont seem to have minded being transplanted ( yet ).

I wasnt intending to plant out until the end of may so at the moment they are sitting i on the windowsill they rage in size between 4 and 2 inches but are they going to be too big if I leave it untill end of may ?

also what is the closest you can plant them together ?
First year growing, so far, so good.

thegarybrough

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2010, 20:41 »
Glad to hear I'm not too late to get in on the sweetcorn action - our first full year so a bit disorganised with the seed planting.

I'm planning on popping them in this weekend in our unheated greenhouse. Are paper pots the method of choice then?

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2010, 21:54 »
Glad to hear I'm not too late to get in on the sweetcorn action - our first full year so a bit disorganised with the seed planting.

I'm planning on popping them in this weekend in our unheated greenhouse. Are paper pots the method of choice then?

just sown another load in root trainers today,popped them in the propogator bench for a couple of days and they should be through.
little tip with sweetcorn is to spray daily with calcified seaweed (maxicrop).infact spray all your seedlings with it. ;)

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2010, 06:52 »
I might end up with a  lot of sweet corn this year my first lots didnt take then we sowed some more and the first lot have come up  :D
Thanks
Kris

xx
sweetcorn

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 23:52
by andy dewar
xx
Sweetcorn Help!

Started by Smudge on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 08, 2007, 17:09
by David.
xx
sweetcorn

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 12:13
by Kristen
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2021, 16:04
by cc

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 33 queries.