Feeding tomatoes

• 9 Replies

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Feeding tomatoes
« on: August 03, 2011, 10:12 »
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me how many times a week I can feed my F1 hybrid tomatoes?  They are in pots in a polytunnel that is on concrete.  Loads of fruit and flowers, I'm just waiting for them to ripen and wondered if I feed them more than once a week it may help them.
Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 15:39 by Ice »
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

tlm1965

Re: Feeding tomotoes
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 17:12 »
Hi, now your tomatoes are flowering :), you should not feed them. Water regular, but don't waterlog the plant. Feed young tomatoe plants once a month. Always read the label on feed solutions.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 17:18 »
As you already have fruit - you should feed them according to the instructions on the bottle. Feeding more often can do more harm than good, and won't make them ripen any earlier.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 09:41 »
Thanks for that folks  :D

savbo

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 15:11 »
if there are no instructions - like if you're using comfrey tea - then I'd go for once or twice a week

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 15:31 »
As tlm1965 says, read the instructions on the bottle, over-feeding will not hasten ripening, as mumofstig says.

However, tlm1965 has it totally incorrect when it comes to when to feed them and the frequency thereof!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Kathie

• Experienced Member
Re: Feeding tomatoes
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 09:50 »
Been feeding as per instructions and 17 days later fruit HUGE, but still green.  Some must be bigger than grapefruits but no sign of colour change.  Lots of green tom chutney me thinks!

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 12:33 »
I wouldn't worry Kathie.  I've still got loads of huge but green toms.  I've only had a few of the Shirley F1 and Flamme variety.  I think its just a slow season this year.  I understand that ripening tomatoes is more to do with temperature than anything else.  You could throw in a few banana skins - again I understand that the gas given off by bananas helps to ripen tomatoes.  I tried it last year when I was ripening off my green ones left over from the end of the season and it seemed to work.  Good luck and don't give up just yet.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 16:04 »
I usually find that as long as they have more or less reached their "proper" size and preferably are just showing a hint of yellowing they should ripen quite successfully.

Fruit which are undersized and very green have a tendency to slowly shrivel and not ripen in my experience.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Headgardener22

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 17:13 »
I also feed according to the bottle. I did once read that you should not water the plants more than a little once the tomatoes have set as too much water will grow large relatively tasteless fruit. However, when I tried it, I got blossom end rot, so now I water about 4 pints every other day in grow bags and have a dripped system in the polytunnel fixed to a water butt which fills from the downspout. I picked the first of my brandywine tomatoes yesterday - 14 oz. Been having cherry tomatoes for a couple of weeks.

xx
Tomato feeding

Started by Caretaker on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 10:57
by Caretaker
xx
Feeding Cukes

Started by Jamboian on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 21:45
by Jamboian
question
Newbie - feeding question

Started by Lady Rosemary on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 19:28
by japagow
xx
Feeding Cucumbers to Stop Leaves Turning Yellow

Started by Markjp on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

13 Replies
Last post August 22, 2012, 12:46
by steved

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 40 queries.