hen pecking own feathers

• 2 Replies

greenacres

hen pecking own feathers
« on: April 25, 2011, 22:46 »
please could i have advice on a couple of things.... we got three rescue hens last june, we had to give one away as she just bullied.the two left got on well but we lost one with the bad weather. so the one left (RED) has been treated like a pet though we thought she was lonely. we heard a friends mother was giving 3 hens away, so got them last monday, we put them together but the 3 are sticking together and RED is at the bottom of the pecking order.they have`nt let up on her at all and i`m wondering if i should seperate her from them? .....also the next one up from her is taking her own feathers out of her own chest and standing while the next one up from her pecks the feathers out as well!  at my wits end. please help

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: hen pecking own feathers
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 10:09 »
Try seperating the main bully from the others for a day or so.  If you take RED out she will still be lowest in the pecking order.

OR you could try this:-
My lowest in the pecking order became a bully last week, having a go at the others for no reason.  I went in their enclosure and chased her around making pecking gestures with one hand.  My husband was very bemused but it seems to have done the trick.  :wacko:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Casey76

Re: hen pecking own feathers
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:35 »
Hello greenacres, and welcome to the henhouse :)

What you are seeing is normal pecking order arrangements.  Just grit your teeth, and it should settle down within a couple of weeks.  It might be handy to have some purple spray (gential violet - available from horse supply shops) handy incase their is any blood drawn.

As for the other hen who is now pecking out her feathers... what breed is she?  Broody hen will remove the feathers from their breast and abdomwen to halp facilitate the incubation process... so keep an eye out for any more brrody-like behavious, so you can nip it in the bud :)

xx
New youngster pecking feathers and eating them

Started by ladicius on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 14:48
by ladicius
xx
sulmtaller missing head feathers- pecking or mites?

Started by stickywicket on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 18:56
by stickywicket
xx
Feathers

Started by brrian on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 12:50
by GrannieAnnie
xx
all about feathers

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 21:06
by karlooben

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 39 queries.