Advice on plastic hen houses

• 5 Replies

Grumblepuss

Advice on plastic hen houses
« on: April 25, 2011, 17:16 »
Hi,

Having just suffered my first major attack of red-mite this year and spent Easter Monday dismantling, pressure washing, and re-assembling my wooden hen house I'm starting to think that a plastic house might be a good idea. Does anyone have any advice, or experiences (good or bad) they're willing to share? I have 4 ex-bats so assume a 'medium' size would suit best? I've done some rooting around the web to see what's out there, but would welcome fellow keepers' thoughts.

Many thanks!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Advice on plastic hen houses
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 19:27 »
Hi Grumblepuss and welcome. Like you I had my first attack of redmite last year too which prompted me to buy plastic. I started of with an eglu classic (2nd hand) but having so many chickens (40+) I couldn't afford enough eglus for them all so I looked at various others. I live in a very rural area so in the end settled for one that looks like a pig ark by Solway plastics (I saw these at the pig and poultry show so had a good look around to see how they were made and put together. However they are big - approx 5 feet by 4 feet so may not suit your 4 birds although they do do smaller ones.
There are plenty of other makes though - green frog (didn't really like the doors of these), doodle houses (quaint but too white),
little barn chicken coops - look ok for just 3 or 4 hens (http://www.littlebarncoop.com/), chicubes which just look like packing boxes (http://www.chicubes.co.uk),
durham hens poultry supplies spoilt for me as they have wooden perches (on ebay),
and also on ebay is a company called bubbles kitchens who make plastic coops - never seen one of these in the flesh though so no comment on them.
You also need to consider if you want one with a run or not - not all have runs so you may need to make one  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

PlacidCasual

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 10:55 »
I recently bought an Eglu Cube, which I've been very pleased with. Very easy to manage, and should last enough years to justify the cost.

Incidentally, I got mine from their marketplace which sells some second hand coops - got mine for £350 in 'as new' condition.

tesni

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 11:00 »
ooh I like the Solway Plastics range...... look so easy to clean etc tempting  ;)

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:46 »
Best not to pressure wash live red mite out , as i found out they will crawl back days later.
Make sure they are dead first.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 11:56 »
to true, luckily for me mine can be steam cleaned with an industrial steamer and at work on a hard surface. Also to anybody with redmite don't put the bedding in your compost as they will soon crawl out of that as well and back into your coops  :(

xx
Plastic Chicken Houses......

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 29, 2013, 12:25
by JaK
xx
Plastic hen houses in winter

Started by outercircle on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 11:42
by evie2
xx
plastic chicken houses

Started by kelsgirlsx on The Hen House

38 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 14:38
by nzdunn
xx
HEN HOUSES

Started by Ali10 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 07:12
by muntjac

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 37 queries.