Yuk - help please

• 5 Replies

ali2

• Experienced Member
Yuk - help please
« on: March 07, 2010, 08:00 »
One of our chickens did a massive pooh this morning and there was a worm in it (not dead).. now gave them the worm treament at the beginning of the week ...does this show that it is working ?   We  use Verm-X for the simple reason it was recommended from the poultry farm where we got the chickens from although since coming on here most people use Flubenvet....would it be ok for me to get some of that and worm them again asap?

This is the first time  I have noticed a worm and I do do an awful lot of pooh picking !!

Any help much appreciated.
Dogs were born with three legs and a spare.

dizzylizzie

Re: Yuk - help please
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:28 »
Hi, i think most of us here use Flubenvet. Its gentle, but very effective and there is no egg withdrawal. Its a 7day course, given in thier food, and in my experiance its very effective. If you have seen live worms, then she still has worms! ;) i would say she needs doing again, but im sure someone will advise on if its ok to do again so close. Having said that, if she has worms she needs treating. :)
poor you though, not what you need to find first thing on a morning :D

Have a quick look at Aunty's poo guide (after breakfast) http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0
 :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 08:37 by dizzylizzie »

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 19:10 »
u can re worm with flubenvet and do it fast as the worms can cause so much damage an kill the birds . i have used both within weeks of each other an not had a probelm .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

ali2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:58 »
Many thanks for both of your replies...I have ordered some Flubenvet and will start the course as soon as it arrives...it's always daunting to first come across these sort of problems when you are just a novice chicken keeper (4months) .  Have been looking through other chicken forums for bits of advice and not many people think the Verm-X is not  very effective although quite a few use it as a back up between the other treatment...shall probably do that too if only to use it all up !

Having seen that worm yesterday made me feel my chicken is the only one with worms ...but after first panic attack realised this is highly unlikely !!!! :lol:

By the way our chickens are free ranging .....do you keep you chickens in a restricted pen while they are being treated?

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 08:39 »
The instructions for flub are that they should not free range and be fed only treated pellets during the 7 day treatment.

Mine would drive me spare if I tried it! So as they have a mash porridge in the mornings, I make up a mixture of pellets with a double dose of flub, use that for their porridge and let them free range for part of the day. That way I figure they get a good proportion of the dose they're supposed to have.

I know I'll be shot down in flames ... but it works for me!  ::)
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

ali2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 09:29 »
Glad you said that as we give them porridge and mash in the morning...well started it when  it was very cold so should really try to wean them off it so was wondering how to administer it with that and mash we leave down for them ...or  just not give them their porridge.

And also wondering how on earth I was going to keep them in their pen it's 12 x 15 ft   ....but even so they hate being kept in it for any length of time and start pacing up and down by the gate.  So may have to let them roam a for a little at least like you.  Never realised how persistant chickens can be !!

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 29 queries.