Rollaway nest

• 8 Replies

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
Rollaway nest
« on: March 13, 2020, 10:36 »
Can anyone help me with a rollaway nest. One of my hens has starting to eat the eggs but not only her own but all of them. They are all free range hens. I bought a rollaway nest but the problem is I don't know what to line them with so the eggs will roll. Also how do you get a hen to accept a change in nest with no straw thanks for replys

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Rollaway nest
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 10:55 »
I use sawdust in nest boxes, but I haven't used a rollaway one.  They don't need a 'nest' as such to lay, just a quiet space a sit.  You might be surprised how well they manage with the change  :)

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 11:22 »
Thanks for that sawdust is a good idea and works well but with a rollaway it’s not good I don’t think because the eggs will get stuck and wouldn’t roll. It’s only a plastic bottom with holes in but need something smooth and comfortable to lay in and allow the eggs to roll smoothly  plus it keeps the poo off the plastic

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 11:28 »
I had an elderly hen who was troubled with rheumatic legs and I got her a pet feeding mat to sit on.  It was soft and rubbery, sort of like wetsuit material and she used to like it.  It was her favoured seat for her daily garden viewing sit downs.

Found it  :)

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/silicone-placemat

Sorry - link was wonky - should be Ok now
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:34 by New shoot »

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 12:00 »
That’s good advise as well I’m going to keep all the replies in my head and hopefully I’ll get some more answers and have a try at a few thanks for that

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 18:45 »
I bought a roll away nest box for just the same reason, I installed it in the run but they refused to use it, so I rejigged the house & have managed to fit it in there for the time being. It’s taken about 7 weeks for them to start to use it. The hens are now using it every day, regardless that there is just the plastic mat in there, I did put sawdust in the covered egg collection area as I had a couple of cracked eggs, that seems to have worked. I’m working towards taking the house away as they are in a covered run, but first I need to make it less draughty, then I will reinstall the roll away nest box into the run.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 19:16 »
So that’s another thing I can keep in mind it’s a good idea. I was thinking maybe an old car mat cut into shape but it won’t be that cosy

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 20:43 »
I think just give them time, at least the one supplied can be washed, might help stop any broodiness lol

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 21:24 »
It might well do. I will get there eventually, everything is just trial and error at the moment

xx
Rollaway nest box

Started by Frizzle1 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2014, 16:42
by pepsi100
xx
Rollaway nest box inserts

Started by Honeysuckle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 06:32
by Casey76
xx
nest beb

Started by chicken king on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 17:34
by Vember
xx
Nest Box help please

Started by Alby on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 01, 2009, 16:06
by Alby

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 49 queries.