Rape Seed

• 4 Replies

Fiona55

Rape Seed
« on: June 01, 2012, 07:58 »
Hi, has anyone fed their chooks rape seed?  Does anyone know if it is ok for chooks?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Rape Seed
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:05 »
I wouldn't:

"Rations containing 25% of either regular rapeseed oil (36% erucic acid), Oro rapeseed oil (1.9% erucic acid), soybean oil or a mixture of lard and corn oil were fed to chickens, ducks and turkeys. The regular rapeseed oil ration caused growth depression, increased feed conversion and anemia in all species. All the ducks and some of the chickens fed the regular rapeseed oil ration died. These dead birds were affected with hydropericardium and ascites. No deaths in the turkeys could be attributed to the regular rapeseed oil ration but some turkeys fed this ration had degenerative foci characterized by infiltrations of histiocytic and giant cells in the myocardium. Severe fatty change in the heart, skeletal muscles, spleen and kidney was found at an early age in all birds fed the regular rapeseed oil ration. Less severe fatty change but no other lesions were found in birds fed the Oro rapeseed oil and soybean oil rations."

source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1000400

"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

ehs284

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 08:09 »
Don't do it.
Here is a quote from the Canola (i.e. rapeseed) Council of Canada who might be expected to say no evil, "
Canola meal is used in all types of poultry feeds. However, because of its relatively low energy value for poultry, it tends to be economically favoured in egg layer and turkey feeds rather than in high energy broiler feeds. Also, some feed users have expressed biases against using canola meal in poultry feeds due to health and performance problems that they have experienced, including hemorrhagic liver in egg layers, small egg size, leg problems in broilers, reduced feed intake and reduced growth rate".
It seems that some commercial producers accept damage to birds because the food is cheap and they only have the birds for months.

Chick Chick

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:55 »
Oh dear....I used rape seed oil to mix worm powder into the layers pellets...I will use olive oil in future
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:56 by Chick Chick »

Fiona55

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 12:16 »
I definitely wont be doing that - the effects dont sound good - thanks

xx
Rape straw

Started by rowbow on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2018, 17:02
by Sassy
xx
Chopped rape stalks

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 02, 2017, 11:28
by danfinn1
xx
Seed treats

Started by PJM on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 13, 2007, 04:42
by PJM
xx
Grass seed ??

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 16, 2010, 09:08
by Sassy

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 39 queries.