Best way to deal with grass

• 11 Replies

Njal

Best way to deal with grass
« on: April 12, 2010, 22:38 »
Hi,

I have a new plot (had a different one last year).
Anyway, these allotments have been created from scratch from part of a farmers field, and the council basically rotovated about 20 plots, left it for a couple of months then handed them over to us.

I have dug over the entire plot, and it's impossible to rake because of the small clods of partially dried grass and grass roots.
I have tried raking them to the side but there is so much of it!
Also, hoeing is impossible because of these soily lumps of roots. They are about half the size of a fist mostly.

I sowed a row of peas then when I came to rake the soil back in the drill I realised it was mostly either solid balls of grass root or dry clods of grass.

Is there any easy way to get rid of it, or just hope it will be better next year after it's broken down a bit?

Babstreefern

Re: Best way to deal with grass
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 22:50 »
I would spray weed killer, then cover it over with plastic sheeting for a few weeks - then lift it up, rake it off, and then complete dig over.  Then plant spuds - by then, it will have to be late main crop.
Babs

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 23:08 »
You could do no dig potatoes, (if you have a source of cardboard and enough compost or suitable manure) while you get to grips with the rest of the plot.
Fruit bushes and other things like squashes can be planted through cardboard too.  :) 
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

peterjf

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 23:31 »
to my thinking , why cover with material if you going to round up or other weed killer ,

Njal

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 09:11 »
Hmm, thanks for your thoughts.
All these solutions sound like the plot would be unusable for a few weeks, but I need to plant stuff now!

What I'm thinking is of using potting compost or topsoil for the seed beds. I.e. hoe out a drill, plant seeds, fill in with topsoil.
Then by next year things should be better...?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 09:38 »
Your idea seems workable, or you can try to start as much as you can in pots this year, so you can plant rather than sow.

Or make some seed beds (for stuff that can be transplanted eg brassicas) by sieving the top few inches of soil of a smallish seed bed.

Good luck with it anyway.

Ps can you break the lumps down when they are wet? sometimes that makes it easier when soil has been ploughed.

gillie

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 09:55 »
Glyphosate - the normal weedkiller used - works by being absorbed through green leaves and then being transported to the roots.  If you spray it on brown soil, or cover the weeds after spraying, it will not work and is a waste of money.

I think you are right to hoe out a drill, line it with potting compost, sow your seeds and then cover with more compost before covering with soil.  I do this quite often for root vegetables and salads, although my soil is quite good now.

Cardboard covering is another good idea.  Ask around small shops.  They have to pay to have packaging taken away and you may find they are only too willing to let you have it.

Try not to trample all over your plot or the soil will compact and  make life even more difficult.  Either use walking boards or designate path areas somehow and stick to them.

Gradually as you keep bashing at it and adding organic matter your soil will improve.

Gillie

Njal

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 09:57 »
Ps can you break the lumps down when they are wet? sometimes that makes it easier when soil has been ploughed.

Sometimes. They are dense clumps of grass roots and soil.
It can be done by hand, but not really with rake/hoe/fork.
As it's a 100m^2 plot, I don't fancy doing it all by hand.

The other 19 people on the allotment will all have the same problem, too - we only got given them last week!

Njal

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:58 »
Thanks Gillie!

HugglescoteGrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 10:16 »
your situation is exactly what I faced last year, we took over our plots in similar condition in May.

Why the council insist on rotovating (ours was actually ploughed!) I don't know. It would be better to give you the plot as it was, and maybe waive the first year or two's fees. At least then you could use a brush cutter and turf cutting machine to remove the top layer, which would take most of the grass root with it.

If there is no actual top growth visible I wouldn't bother spraying, it's a waste, unless you intend using a long term weed killer that will prevent you growing anything for  months (path clear etc).

I decided, due to the time of the year to try and get peas and beans going and then late crop cabbage, cauli and sprouts so started digging the beds for the peas. The problem is the ploughing, and harrowing had chopped the perennial weed route into tiny pieces and scattered it. I took loads out, planted peas in rows but before any pea plants were visible the grasses were knee high. My runner beans did better, they out grew the bind weed by a short neck and I had a decent crop from them.

I started a monthly regime of spraying, I'm lucky that I have a backpack sprayer - if you plan to go that route then it's well worth investing in one, however for the cost of the sprayer and all the weedkiller your going to start using you could cover the whole plot, and in the end that is what I did. I really do believe that a plot in the state you have it is the only long term solution.

I bought a 50 x 4 meter roll of black plastic from all plaz - listed as allotment cover which covered three quarters of my plot. Plans for late and winter crops were shelved and plasticopia was born. Deciding I could not do any more damage I rotovated the whole lot once the beans were finished and covered it straight after. There are downsides to long term covering, you will eventually kill the weeds, but it will take a long time, and you do risk attracting slugs who will enjoy life in the dark, damp atmosphere iunder your plastic.

Knowing what I know now, and facing the same situation again i would operate a "no bare earth" policy. Focus on crops that you can sow in pots, peat pots if needed to avoid root disturbance, or maybe look at the expanding plug system, and sow through weed membrane. Every where that is not planted cover with the cheaper plastic.

You can still enjoy decent crops of most brassicas, peas and beans, courgette etc etc but crops which favour being sown direct such as carrot etc may have to be sacrificed in the first year.

Which ever option you choose, good luck - and don't get disheartened. I started to last year when the weeds just kept coming back, but eventually the "I shall not be beaten" attitude took over, and I'm pleased to say that, having started lifting the sheeting to plant potatoes and fruit trees the soil underneath is in good condition. Not weed free yet, but much much better. I bought my local Wilko's entire stock of weed membrane last winter when it was cleared out at 75% off, so even now will plant what I can through it. Unused space will stay under cover, and as soon as a bed is empty it will be covered again, but I will give carrots, parsnips, beets etc a go this year. Hopefully I can manage what weeds do reappear.

I hoe, I hoe, it's off to weed I go.

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 12:36 »
smoke it, dude.

Njal

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 12:41 »
LOL @ upert.

And thanks, Hugglescote - a very thorough reply!!

xx
How to deal with grass?

Started by kirby-11 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 01, 2010, 13:57
by chili
xx
Best ever veg deal

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 17, 2013, 16:04
by Ema
xx
Is this a good deal?

Started by Munchkin on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 17:17
by hamstergbert
xx
Best way to deal with blackfly please?

Started by yummy on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 08, 2007, 07:01
by Tom

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 38 queries.