Children & Food

• 8 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Children & Food
« on: January 25, 2020, 13:24 »
Back in 2005 Jamie Oliver launched his campaign to improve school dinners. Sadly it didn’t have the results he hoped for despite his efforts and the power of national television. Happily my Grandson eats healthily and knows what he's eating.

Children & Food
Grandson Carrot.jpg
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

GraciesGran

Re: Children & Food
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 16:41 »
My children and grandchildren eat almost most anything - on the 'no way list' are kiwi fruit and avocados. Both sons have allotments so the little ones know where things come from.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 18:43 »
My grandson wants to be grown up - so we let him help - sometimes it's more time consuming than doing it yourself, but that's OK. It's teaching him.

Pauly1958

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 06:34 »
Schools should promote veg a lot more to the nation

GraciesGran

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 06:56 »
I agree schools should but what about parents.  As a full time working mum of 3 I managed to feed fresh veg and non processed food.  It can be continued takes a bit of effort.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 09:06 »
I agree schools should but what about parents.  As a full time working mum of 3 I managed to feed fresh veg and non processed food.  It can be continued takes a bit of effort.
In my experience there's a lot of parents who don't know and so can't teach their children.  We stopped teaching basic cookery skills and growing skills in schools years ago.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 10:36 »
I find it all a bit odd with the home cooking debate.   We have whole channels of TV devoted to cooking programmes, the internet is full of it, you can look up a YouTube video on 'how to' on your phone, but people say they have no interest in it and have never learned.  Who watches all this stuff then?

I don't disagree with the view that schools should teach children about nutrition and healthy eating.  It is a basic life skill like managing your money or writing a cv.  My own personal opinion is that you can learn to pass exams, or to drive, or to be an ace at a particular computer game, you can learn to cook a few basic healthy meals if you want to.   

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 12:43 »
We live in a city and our children both know where their food comes from.
They help planting, feeding and picking fruit, peas, onions and potatoes. They also plant them after making a totally disgusting muddy hole. Last year's potatoes had the remains of a pair of toddler boxers entwined around a tuber!
We start with asking what meat do they want to eat? What animal does it come from? What is a baby one called? What is an adult called?  Followed up with what noise does it make? So Lamb, sheep, lamb, Ewe or ram, Baaaa  of varying pitch dependant on age and gender.
Although one was convinced for a time that potatoes grew in or behind dirty ears.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 12:52 »
In my experience there's a lot of parents who don't know and so can't teach their children.  We stopped teaching basic cookery skills and growing skills in schools years ago.

We did one year at secondary level and the most advanced thing we made was scones and a 3 ingredient sandwich. Here they bake a cake in nursery and then nothing until P4 year. From what I've heard of other parents planning for tea it's all microwave meals and food out of tins.

xx
Starting Them Young: 6 Homesteading Skills to Teach Children

Started by John on New Across The Site

2 Replies
Last post March 16, 2020, 00:22
by John
xx
Frugal Food can be the Best

4 Replies
Last post August 29, 2022, 13:45
by hasbeans
xx
Flowers! Soul food.

0 Replies
Last post April 06, 2020, 11:32
by John
xx
Coming Food Shortage?

14 Replies
Last post November 24, 2022, 09:38
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 47 queries.