Stephanotis help

• 5 Replies

Chrysalis

Stephanotis help
« on: November 16, 2014, 16:23 »
I bought a lovely stephanotis floribunda two weeks ago and it's been looked after - regular water, enough light etc. but is dropping it's waxy flowers already. Am I doing something wrong, please?

It was my mum's favourite houseplant and I bought it to comfort myself after my dad died recently.  I just needed to feel close to them both, but the flowers dropping off isn't helping much!  :(

Any ideas as to how to preserve it a bit? Thanks

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Stephanotis help
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 16:31 »
Probably the change in temperature, or a lack of humidity?  When the pots are in flower and come into the house I stand them on some gravel and keep the water level in the saucer below bottom of the pot, but so that there is plenty in the gravel which can evaporate and provide some humidity.  Misting will help too.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 11:18 »
Chrysalis - I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. I agree about the change in either temp, humidity or both. Have a Google and see what conditions they like - good luck.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Chrysalis

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 13:19 »
Thanks both.  I have misted a bit, but I expect the drop in temp may be at fault.  I'll move it inland from the windowsill!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 18:52 »
Chrysalis it may not have been anything you did, as sometimes plants are in draughts or get chilled in-transit, or in the shop before you even buy them, and this can have an adverse effect.

I have been able to get stephanotis to re-flower by keeping the plant somewhere warm and bright, and feeding it every two weeks with babybio. Our porch is too hot in the summer for it, and so it sat on the kitchen floor by the glass backdoor all summer, but it is now back in the porch for the winter. I just wind new growth around the wire hoop it came with.

Hope that helps a little bit  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Chrysalis

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 19:18 »
Thanks Sunny,

I may put it near my wonderfully flowering orchids, to encourage it a bit.  Can't smell the lovely stephanotis scent just now as the house is full of lilies from colleagues, so I'll have to wait and see.

GG, thanks for your condolences. It's taking some getting used to......but folk are kind and gentle (esp. my OH)!

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 39 queries.