Friendly chickens? Looking for happy hens to live with my ex-batts

• 8 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
I'm hoping to get 2 chickens to go with my 3 ex-batts eventually. I've read up on breeds, temprement, resistance to illness etc and I'm thinking a couple of Wellsummers would fit in nicely as they seem the most docile so far, get on well with children (I have 2) and are very beautiful. Can you please give me advice on which breeds you think will co-habit happily with 3 nervous ladies, cope with kids and a yampy labrador pup. I'll leave it a couple of months, unitl the ex-batts are nicely settled, also gives me time to track down a local breeder....no easy task in West Bromwich!!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 22:39 by Carla »
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
I find my welsummers tend to be quiet and a little bit timid. My first Peggy (rip  :()was always a bit of a loner and happy to remain on the outside of everything. I now have two of them and they are a little bit more inquisitive but again very quiet and gentle.
Staffies are softer than you think.

PaulineM

I am only into my 4th day of chicken keeping, so maybe take what I say with a pinch of salt. I have two Wellsummers, They both can hold their own and are definitely not the bottom of the pecking order, they even have a good peck at who I consider the leader. They are beautiful tho and maybe they are only pecking at the moment to establish their order. I read about them being docile too and at the moment I would be thinking 'Yeah right!' But don't let this put you off just don't be surprised that they have a peck when they arrive.
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

zopadooper

I had four welsommers a few years ago and as nice as they were they did not believe in rewarding their master with many eggs.  Our neighbour has just taken on some ex-bats to go with her couple of existing hens and they have fitted in well and produced eggs from day 1.

joyfull

My welsummer used to lay 5 eggs a week, the two I have now are a little bit too young just yet. With ex batts they really are re homed to be pets in retirement with no guarantees of ever laying another egg for you I have four and only 2 lay eggs.

Carla

• Experienced Member
I really dont mind if my ex-batts never lay me a single egg, I just want them to have a few years of freedom and happiness after the hideous start in life they've had.
Thats one of the reasons I want a couple of normal bred hens, so I can have a few eggs for my family, my son can have the joy of fetching them in the morning and get the educational benefits of where his food comes from.
So what do you all think, friendly but a good layer, which ones do you think would be best for me to track down?

gingerplant

We have a Cuckoo Maran who is really friendly (I think mainly because she is greedy and runs to us in the hope of food!) and a good layer.  Not hugely keen on being picked up, except by my 3 year old boy (see my picture in another thread about hens not laying!), and she squats obligingly for him!
I have heard that Light Sussex are good natured, but I haven't had great experiences with them, mainly through illness rather than bad temper...

joyfull

most breeds have the ability to be either friendly or not it depends on the individual (pretty much the same as all species  :)).

grumpydad

we have had several pure breeds, all of whom were fine, but did not like getting too close, we now have some hybrids, a black rock, speckeldy and sussex star, all asbo's, given half a chance they are in the kitchen at the dogs food, on your shoulder trying to get food if you are stupid enough to eat outside in their garden.
like joy said, depends on the individual chicken.

xx
could silkies live with ex batts.

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2008, 19:34
by karlooben
xx
Live Yoghurt and hens. What do you do?

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 23, 2010, 15:51
by Chablis Dog
xx
can bantams and hens live together?

Started by scampy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 23:27
by blulagoo
xx
How long do hens live ?

Started by RobinL on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 09:02
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 40 queries.