Wheezy Chicken

• 4 Replies

Thingy

• Experienced Member
  • Budding Animal Behaviourist :)
Wheezy Chicken
« on: August 15, 2010, 22:48 »
Hi...again

Just went out to lock up the Frizzles and one of them is wheezing and sneezing away. It looked like it was having great difficulty breathing. I put it under a heat lamp and it seems to have settled down its breathing a bit. Its no longer gasping, but wheezing softly. Its eating and drinking, and it is motivated to preen. It doesn't look active but I'm thinking maybe because it is nighttime, they were all settled down to sleep. It is bright eyed and bushy tailed though :)

Is there anything I can do to ease its breathing a bit untill I can get to the vet/store tomorrow :/. Is there anything I can do to help it at all when i get to the vet/store?

Kind Regards,

Thingy
When the wolf lays with the lamb, I fear for us all

hillfooter

Re: Wheezy Chicken
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 23:11 »
Your chx has some kind of respiratory problem which will almost certainly respond to an antibiotic.  Three of my chickens, in a house with 8 in, went down with similar sounding symptoms a couple of months ago.  Usually such symptoms are accompanied with nasal discharges and runny eyes which tends to suggest Mycoplasma (MG) but in my case it was just the sneezing and wheezing.  I isolated the birds with the symptoms and put them all on a course of Baytril  including their house mates.  The hens with the symptoms respnded very quickly and the sneezing stopped within 24hrs and the wheezing gradually improved and weren't evident within 4 days.  I medicated their water for 7 days and they recovered well and no others caught it.  Though I'm sure they would had it not been for the medication.  You will need a vets prescription for any antibiotic.

I'm not convinced it was Mycoplasma because the symptoms weren't typical but it is obviously an upper respiratory infection of some sort.  Tylan is an a/b which is also often prescribed for myco but as it's not obviously MG try to get Baytril 10% as I suspect that will definitely work.

There was also an increase in laying after the treatment so i suspect it was affecting their laying too.
Best of luck
HF
Truth through science.

Thingy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 23:15 »
Oh thank you very much. I will make an appointment first thing.

I hope s/he doesn't die on me here...although s/he is still looking ok in him/herself

tbh most people/animals in my house have wheezy chests. I probably passed mine on unintentionally :/

Baytrill is a miracle worker I swear. Worked wonders on my rat when he had an inner ear infection.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 23:37 »
Oh thank you very much. I will make an appointment first thing.

I hope s/he doesn't die on me here...although s/he is still looking ok in him/herself

tbh most people/animals in my house have wheezy chests. I probably passed mine on unintentionally :/

Baytrill is a miracle worker I swear. Worked wonders on my rat when he had an inner ear infection.

You can't pass on such things to your chx nor can they infect you which isn't true of all diseases but those which effect both chx and people are rare and few.

It's unlikely to die if you get treatment asap.  MG on it's own is rarely fatal.  The problems occur through secondary infections which can take a hold if the birds immune system is weakened.

The other thing you can do is make sure their house isn't dusty.  If you use diatom for RM don't dust the birds and paint it on as a slurry don't dust it.  Suspended dust can iritate a chx breathing and is also a great way of them inhaling viruses, thousands of which can be carried on a dust particle.  The natural protective lining of their respiratory tract can be damaged by the infection allowing other more dangerous infections to invade the body and organs via the respiratory system.  So it's a good idea to keep dust down and have plenty of ventilation and ensure your hygeine is good.
HF

HF
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 23:45 by hillfooter »

Thingy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 23:47 »
I thought wheezy chests were anthroponotic :/. Everything in this house is wheezing at the moment, the people, the chooks, the ferret, the rats...i am not too worried anymore :)

The wheezings calmed down alot and I put a new object in their box in order to test their reation, and all is fine. I was watching them for ages and I must say, I wasn't sure about polands before but they have grown on me...like a fungus :)

Can't do much about it now. Its 12 at night :tongue2:. Vets tomorrow. They know all our pets by name without even looking at the computer. I think we should have a loyalty card personally :)

xx
Wheezy hen

Started by cathangirl on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 19:00
by raeburg
xx
Wheezy Hen

Started by KJ on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2008, 21:05
by Jellyhead
xx
Wheezy cockerel?!!?

Started by Sassy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 22:25
by Foxy
xx
wheezy chook

Started by JACDORE on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 27, 2012, 16:33
by kegs

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 38 queries.