Commercial leghorns

• 6 Replies

Casey76

Commercial leghorns
« on: March 14, 2011, 18:08 »
Has anyone had any experience of commercial leghorns (opposed to show/exhibition birds)?

I fancy a nice white egg layer, and the garden centre has just started taking orders for this year.

I'd heard that leghorns are a bight flighty, is it true?  Will a wing clip help?

TIA :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Commercial leghorns
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 18:55 »
We are rearing some for the first time now Casey, They are 3 weeks old today, and are flying over their 2ft high brooder ring no problem!!!   :D :D

wildwitchy

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:34 »
Yes, they are flighty. I've got two old ones - darcey & Bussell ( 3 yrs +) & totally mental. My other two -syd & nancy are a bit nervous but they were rescues & still very young - about 4 mths old. Syd will sit on my arm.

Syd & nance jump on the pampas grass bush already & thats about 6ft.

I like them though because they are brilliant layers are really large pocelain white eggs. Darcey & Bussell lay around 80-100g eggs daily. When younger double yolkers.

My girls have been up on the shed roof, the arch way etc etc to pinch the goose wheat on the other side.........

Vecten

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 13:26 »
I also have a 3 week old leghorn and she's flying like a pigeon.  :)

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 13:38 »
I'll be getting mine at 20 weeks (POL) I'm having enough fun with my hooligan bantam dottes which are coming up to three weeks old now.

So it looks like a wing clip will be in order when the first go in the garden, and hopefully they will learn which fence they need tobe on before they moult!

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 14:35 »
I have three Exchequer Leghorns (did have six, but 3 were boys and had to go) - they are 22 weeks old and flying machines, even with one wing clipped. My 6 foot fences have now had to be extended by a further 4 feet after I saw two of them quite happily hop onto the top of the fence - and when your land borders a fast flowing river and then farmland, it's not a good idea!

They can also be quite bullish, squaring up to even the older birds but I wouldn't get rid of them. As Wildwitchy says, they are completely mental but since I hatched them they are very friendly and perch on my arm.

wildwitchy

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 17:39 »
Also to consider is because of laying big eggs is the prolapse problem. I've got this atm with one of mine. Found her today with a small prolapse (not staying back in either..... :(). After bringing her in & doing all the usual nursing care for her (took me ages to catch her mind!!) I put her on the kitchen floor & she went compleatly mental again, like she had never seen me before! They can really run!!  :lol:

xx
Rehoming commercial hens

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2013, 22:18
by joyfull

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 37 queries.