Climbing Beans

• 13 Replies

Breadsnapper

Climbing Beans
« on: August 19, 2008, 14:48 »
I planted some climbing beans of the Blauhilde variety.  They appear to be grwing OK about 2 metres tall at the moment but there's no sign of any beans.  There's continual new growth but no flowering.  Any ideas?
JUST BECUASE YOU'RE PARANOID, IT DOESN'T MEAN THEY'RE NOT AFTER YOU!

gobs

Climbing Beans
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 18:01 »
If the foliage and the plants look healthy, I'd think of the cold spell we are having. Unless something plays the flowers away.

Have only grown them for 3 seasons, but never let me down, vigorous, good growers. Never do anything to them, either. I planted them in situ , first half of June this year, just started picking this weekend.

Let's hope, the promised warmer spell at the weekend does it for them and nothing is wrong with them, so soon you can enjoy their lovely flavour.

In case you heavily manured them or similar feed, a bit of potash can do good for flowering.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Breadsnapper

Climbing Beans
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 18:06 »
In the main the foliage does look healthy.  There appears to be a few leaves that look like something been eating them but nothing major.  I will try a bit of potash.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Climbing Beans
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 18:07 »
are you getting enough pollinators - ie bees etc?  There's steadily been fewer each year so perhaps they're just not being polinated?

Breadsnapper

Climbing Beans
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 18:16 »
I would have thought so(tho i'm no expert) as i have peas on the same patch and they're flowering and i have already harvested some pods.  However I do plan to make a bee nest for next year :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Climbing Beans
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 18:23 »
My beans have been generally late, especially the blauhilde.

Don't give up  :wink:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

SalJ1980

Climbing Beans
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 22:40 »
I was given my beans and have no idea what variety they are, but they are quite a way behind my peas, which were sown about 4 weeks after the beans! I've had 4 or 5 good crops of the peas so far and will have more tomorrow, whereas I'll be picking the first beans tomorrow...
Sal

Organic...so far!

peterjf

beans
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 22:43 »
FEED THEM WITH FERTILISER

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Climbing Beans
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 23:05 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
are you getting enough pollinators - ie bees etc?  There's steadily been fewer each year so perhaps they're just not being polinated?

Mine have done zero, zilch, nada!  I think them pesky bees were too lazy to bypass the toms and chillie flowers next to my beans :-(

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

vegmandan

Climbing Beans
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 00:00 »
Everyone I know around me "UP North" has had a disaster with beans and even runners because the weather's been so wet there's been no insects and bees about to pollinate the damn things.

I was lucky with some in my polytunel as all the insects seemed to have taken refuge in it. :?

Breadsnapper

Climbing Beans
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 01:06 »
There's tons of flies and stuff.  Nearly everyday i put stuff in my compost bin hundreds of flies escape.  Is there any way to artificially pollinate them?

vegmandan

Climbing Beans
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 00:08 »
Oh,just read...no flowering.

This can be because you've planted them on ground with too much Nitrogen,i.e manure etc which will just make the plants grow and grow with no flowers.

Beans produce their own Nitrogen from the air so you don't need to add any.

This might be your problem. :cry:

Breadsnapper

Climbing Beans
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 10:40 »
I have put some fertilser down.  I only got the polt in april and have not used manure, prior to that it was over run with weeds for several years.

Breadsnapper

Climbing Beans
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 14:08 »
Panic over.  I now have lovely purple flowers.  Looks like it was the weather, hopefully were going to have a sunny September.

xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
sad
climbing beans

Started by torimori on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 14, 2020, 15:28
by Subversive_plot
xx
Climbing beans????

Started by Truffle on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 14:24
by Kleftiwallah
xx
climbing beans

Started by goodegg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 07:59
by goodegg

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 38 queries.