Infected hock, how long to heal?

• 4 Replies

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
Infected hock, how long to heal?
« on: November 29, 2013, 17:44 »
One of my ex-batts has benn limping for three weeks now. She has been to a vet who diagnosed a damaged hock which has become infected. He wanted to put her to sleep but after much negotiation he agreed a 24 hour reprieve and injected her with baytril and metacam. He was quite shocked at her poor plumage and weight and told me I should have isolated her to have prevented her suffering once I explained she arrived from the farm in this condition he was slightly more helpful! After 24 hours he agreed to give her a 10 day course of baytril and metacam but said if she had not improved over this time I should take her back to be put to sleep.  Time is up Monday and it will be about three weeks then.  I have isolated her in the hen house which luckily Has two doors each end, so they can all hear each other but she  is safe. She also has access to a pen within the main pen so again the others can see her but can't get to her.  My question is should I be taking her out each day or leaving her in her house?  She is not going outside of her own accord just sitting at the pop hole looking out most of the day.She has started doing some stretching of her poor leg although she can't bear any weight on it, I am propping open the lid of the nest box to get some light and air moving and we have set up food and water there.  Will it damage her leg if I take her to the garden for a hop around or is she best left?  She ia eating and drinking really well, she's perky and chatty and has now stopped sleeping on her side, does this mean her hock is repairing? If anyone else has experienced this problem I woul appreciate some feedback on how long recovery took and if I can be doing anything else to help poor Charlotte. Thanks.

compostqueen

Re: Infected hock, how long to heal?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 21:08 »
You could try and take her out into the garden and watch her to see if she tries to get about. Stay with her of course to see how she gets on, and if she's struggling you can put her back in, but they do prefer being out normally.  Maybe instinctively she's staying in for protection. They're not daft  :) 

Someone in the know will be along shortly to answer you fully  :) 

I hope the meds kick in and she'll soon be better. Fingers crossed

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 23:09 »
Thanks Compost Queen. I took her out last weekend whilst. Dd sod leaf collecting but she was happily pecking away then decided to follow my every move which worried me as she was hopping all over the place and was very tired after half an hour so I put her back.  I was worried she may have caused more damage.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 11:08 »
It is impossible to say how long it will take. Just do as you are doing and keep trying her outside.You will get to know if she should have more exercise or not. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 14:13 »
She had half an hour today and managed to hop the entire length of the garden. Her hock is still swollen and warm but last week her entire leg was hot so I guess the antibiotics are doing their thing. Thanks for you replies.

xx
swollen hock, help!

Started by Happy Hens on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 15:14
by Happy Hens
xx
new chick walking on one hock advice please

Started by kimtwig on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 21:37
by kimtwig
xx
Preen gland - infected?

Started by Zoidberg on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 17, 2008, 13:29
by Aunt Sally
xx
Grass - how long is too long

Started by cammi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 19:34
by rachelr

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 39 queries.